CycleBanter.com

-   -   Can use 9-Speed chain with 6 or 7 speed cluster? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257884)

Sir Ridesalot August 7th 19 04:03 PM

Can use 9-Speed chain with 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Hi there.

All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Cheers

David Scheidt August 7th 19 04:38 PM

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:Hi there.

:All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Yes, but shifting may be a little iffy if it's indexed. Friction, no
problem. But a new 8 speed chain is only about 10 bucks, and is
likely to last longer, and available at any decent bike shop.

--
sig 2

Tom Kunich[_5_] August 7th 19 05:40 PM

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 8:38:43 AM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:Hi there.

:All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Yes, but shifting may be a little iffy if it's indexed. Friction, no
problem. But a new 8 speed chain is only about 10 bucks, and is
likely to last longer, and available at any decent bike shop.

--
sig 2

I put a ten speed chain on an old 6 speed freewheel bike. As long as you shift it cleanly - not dragging it slowly into the next gear - it shifts fine. Actually better than my 10 speed setup.

AMuzi August 7th 19 06:21 PM

On 8/7/2019 10:03 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Cheers

In extremis, sure.
Six speed changers are sloppy with a skinny chain and of
course they cost more and wear faster.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

AMuzi August 7th 19 06:26 PM

On 8/7/2019 10:38 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:Hi there.

:All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Yes, but shifting may be a little iffy if it's indexed. Friction, no
problem. But a new 8 speed chain is only about 10 bucks, and is
likely to last longer, and available at any decent bike shop.

You're right on the principle but 5/6/7 chain has rivets
sticking out the side (8 & up don't) which makes a big
difference in shift response in older gear trains.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] August 7th 19 08:01 PM

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:Hi there.

:All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but
his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain
work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Yes, but shifting may be a little iffy if it's indexed.Â* Friction, no
problem.Â* But a new 8 speed chain is only about 10 bucks, and is
likely to last longer, and available at any decent bike shop.

You're right on the principle but 5/6/7 chain has rivets sticking out
the side (8 & up don't) which makes a big difference in shift response
in older gear trains.

I agree that the protruding rivets make some difference, but I don't
think it's enough to worry about. I have five or six rear cogs on
several bikes in the family. I use 8 speed chains with no problems.

These bikes mostly use old SunTour derailleurs, which I think delivered
the best shifts back in those ancient days. Perhaps with other
derailleurs the differences are greater.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot August 7th 19 10:45 PM

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
:Hi there.

:All my spare chains are 9-speed ones. My friend needs a new chain but his bike is either 6 or 7 speed rear cluster. Will a 9 speed chain work on a 6 or 7 speed cluster?

Yes, but shifting may be a little iffy if it's indexed. Friction, no
problem. But a new 8 speed chain is only about 10 bucks, and is
likely to last longer, and available at any decent bike shop.

You're right on the principle but 5/6/7 chain has rivets
sticking out the side (8 & up don't) which makes a big
difference in shift response in older gear trains.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I guess I'll ride up to Mountain Equipment Co-op tomorrow and get a KMC X8.93 7/8 SPEED CHAIN 5006-382 which according to the Questions and Answers on t he MEC site, works very well with 6-speed cassettes. $14.95 CDN doesn't seem to be too bad for a dependable chain that also comes with a KMC quick link.

Cheers