CycleBanter.com

-   -   add hops (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257898)

Sepp Ruf August 10th 19 02:37 PM

add hops

James wrote:

About moderation of what people do and say, in Australia the authorities
like to moderate whenever and where ever possible, without addressing
the root cause of a problem.

Australians seem to have a reputation for liking to binge drink alcohol.
In some areas this has been linked to "alcohol fuelled violence". So
to combat the problem, the authorities decided to enact "lockout laws",
effectively closing the nightclubs and pubs earlier, in certain areas.
This appears to have helped, however it hasn't addressed the root cause
of the problem - why people want to drink to excess and start fighting.
Some argue that the laws have moved the problem elsewhere.

In Italy by contrast, beer is available at supermarkets, sandwich bars
and fuel stations, and it is pretty cheap by comparison. Given the
availability of alcohol, and that no one would bat an eyelid if you sat
outside at lunchtime and drank a bottle of beer in public, you would
expect there to be drunk people all over and fights left and right.

You could try taxing beer higher than wine,
https://vinepair.com/articles/italian-craft-beer/

We did not see one single drunk person or any violence of any kind
during a recent visit to Italy.

Bravo, see how nicely the mafia keeps British holidaymakers out of the eyes
of proper tourists?

But walk into a liberal lawyer conference to see the worst of the worst,
some even drinking beer from stacked! plastic! containers:
https://www.thelocal.it/20190614/amanda-knox-back-in-italy-as-an-advocate-for-the-wrongfully-convicted

I don't think moderation by law is the answer to our problems.

Reeducate an island of convicts and abos to keep a bella figura in public?
Sounds like an interesting, long-term project.

--
Salvini: “Richard Gere sulla Open Arms? Spero si abbronzi.”

JBeattie August 10th 19 03:54 PM

add hops

On Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 6:37:21 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
James wrote:

[...]

Unlikely they're drinking beer with ice cubes. Putting ice cubes in beer is a criminal offense in Portland. And why drink beer in the land of wine?

We have a brew-pub under every rock, and the only beer related violence I can remember is some people rudely taking cuts in line to get some Pliny the Younger before the keg ran dry. https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/21690/ We got there early and beat the crowd because we had a friend, who had a friend who knew somebody who got a tip from a reliable source that the pub would have a keg.

That Australians could control the masses by reducing the alcohol content. We were just in Salt Lake where draft beer cannot exceed 4% ABV, which is what us Oregonians use for laundry and bathing. You get bloated before you get buzzed. By the time you get drunk on four-o beer, your belly is like a giant bota bag and you're in no condition to do anything but urinate.

The craft brewing scene in SLC is kind of funny because you have all the same glitz and snobbery, but what comes out of the tap is like near-beer. If you want a decent IPA, you have to buy it in a bottle. They do have some pretty good bottled craft beers.

-- Jay Beattie.

James[_8_] August 10th 19 10:46 PM

add hops

On 10/8/19 11:37 pm, Sepp Ruf wrote:
James wrote:

[...]

Oh, more moderation from the authorities? That's the kind of thing they
try and it fails to address the underlying issue.

--
JS

James[_8_] August 10th 19 11:00 PM

add hops

On 11/8/19 12:54 am, jbeattie wrote:

That Australians could control the masses by reducing the alcohol
content. We were just in Salt Lake where draft beer cannot exceed 4%
ABV, which is what us Oregonians use for laundry and bathing. You get
bloated before you get buzzed. By the time you get drunk on four-o
beer, your belly is like a giant bota bag and you're in no condition
to do anything but urinate.

Here they would (do) just move on to spirits. Bundy rum and such.

--
JS

jOHN b. August 10th 19 11:04 PM

add hops

James wrote:

[...]

And what is that? That Australians are natural born boozers?

For the past 50 years, or so, I've worked with Australians, known
Australians, associated with Australians and even visited Oz and that
is not what I see at all. In fact, my impression is that Australians
are pretty boring people, you know? Want to make a living wage,
educate their kids, have a decent place to live. etc.

Although Crocodile Dundee may be a very romantic figure I've never met
him in all the years I've know Australians.

--
cheers,

John B.

news18 August 11th 19 03:49 AM

add hops

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 05:04:11 +0700, John B. wrote:

Oh, more moderation from the authorities? That's the kind of thing they
try and it fails to address the underlying issue.

And what is that? That Australians are natural born boozers?

For the past 50 years, or so, I've worked with Australians, known
Australians, associated with Australians and even visited Oz and that
is not what I see at all. In fact, my impression is that Australians are
pretty boring people, you know? Want to make a living wage, educate
their kids, have a decent place to live. etc.

It depends on where and whom you associate with. You need to look at it
from the view point of "community places". In smaller places, The Pub
(bar/hotel) will often be the main social places. IME, whilst the
bussiness thrives on selling alcohol, the tone is influenced by the
general community and generally it is moderate with individual exceptions.

When you start to have multiple pubs, then you start to get the extremes.
The "owners"will tend to favour a certain crowd that they think will keep
them profitable. and they determine the behaviour. Again, IME, it is the
places where the consumption of "spirits" are the focus that the real
social problems occur.

So Sydney has passed "lock out laws"(last entry and last drink times) in
a suburb because the excessive all hours drinking resulted in deaths from
assault and a whole pile of trauma in hospitals. Now all the people who
profit from the alcohol sales are whining about their businesses.

Although Crocodile Dundee may be a very romantic figure I've never met
him in all the years I've know Australians.

The usual Hollywood concotion based on a few "tales". The actor was a
painter on the Sydney Harbour Bridge who did some Tv humour skits.

To get back to bicycles and riders, in all my years, I've only come
across one rider who you would call a drunk and they were doing their
best to come home rolling drunk every night from where ever they were
drinking that night. Weirdly they they have ridding a good way around
Australa.

With the "club trips" we ran, occassionaly people might explore the local
pub and since the riders were largely "city people", the reports were all
amusing to us as the different cultures met.

jOHN b. August 11th 19 04:18 AM

add hops

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 02:49:45 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

[...]

I can't comment on Australians as "community figures" only as
individuals and I stand by my original assessment. Yes, we had an
Aussie worked for us that would literally drink until either you ran
out of beer or he fell over on his head and by the same token we had
Australians that never, at least on the job, touched a drop. In fact a
close friend is out to the pub every evening for a natter with his
mates and drinks one "stubbie" every evening. Says he'd look cheap if
he asked for a glass of water :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

James[_8_] August 11th 19 05:03 AM

add hops

James wrote:

[...]

Australia is a big country and although only sparsely populated, has a
wide range of people. I'll bet you've only come across a thin section.

BTW, I said reputation, not necessarily fact.

Oh, and people like Dundee and his mates exist, but not where you would
travel I wager.

--
JS

jOHN b. August 11th 19 05:37 AM

add hops

James wrote:

[...]

Yes, and you are correct that I mainly came in contract with "overseas
workers", but when you work with all sorts of nationalities, we even
had an "Irian" bloke with his teeth all filed to points, it does,
eventually become obvious that people are, generally speaking, all
about the same, and all want about the same things.

As I mentioned we had an Australian bloke that if you opened a beer in
his present would drink until he passed out, and we had two
Australians, on the same project, that didn't seem to drink at all. We
had two Northern Irish on a project, one of which got all limber
legged walking past a pub. the other one was a strict Christian and
said that drink was a sin.

The concept that "Australians", or "Americans" for that matter, like
this or like that or act this way or that way just doesn't work out in
reality.

We have here, for example, an Australian that rides a bicycle, and at
the same time when I visited Aus, granted about 5 years ago, I don't
remember seeing any adult riding a bicycle.
--
cheers,

John B.

news18 August 11th 19 06:36 AM

add hops

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 10:18:07 +0700, John B. wrote:

I can't comment on Australians as "community figures" only as
individuals and I stand by my original assessment. Yes, we had an Aussie
worked for us that would literally drink until either you ran out of
beer or he fell over on his head and by the same token we had
Australians that never, at least on the job, touched a drop. In fact a
close friend is out to the pub every evening for a natter with his mates
and drinks one "stubbie" every evening. Says he'd look cheap if he asked
for a glass of water :-)

Tell him to ask for dry ginger ales. In Queensland, they want to know
what "that strong stuff you are drinking"

Err, which "stubby". The down south stubby or the darwin stubby.