Showing results 1 to 25 of 39
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Oaf
Forum: UK September 5th 09, 05:43 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
Cycling with Dave Gorman

I had the honour of being a "human sat nav" for Mr Dave Gorman on
Thursday. He's cycling between each of the venues on his current stand-
up tour and also hoping to include Blighty's most Southern,...
Forum: UK September 5th 09, 05:01 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 21
Posted By Oaf
Living room pr0n

Unfortunately, my kitchen is too small for me to photograph this
beauty, received this morning:

http://is.gd/2VfwN
http://is.gd/2VfM1

(With thanks to Ye LBS for doing such a wonderful construction...
Forum: UK August 14th 09, 08:22 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 206
Posted By Oaf
Pinch points

The ride back from station to home post-work involves a stretch of
road which has a number of pinch-points on it (i.e. the road narrows
to one lane). The direction of priority tends to alternate from...
Forum: UK June 30th 09, 09:11 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 14
Posted By Oaf
Cycle route planning: London Village

Hello,

Have devised a plan - which may or may not come to fruition - to take
a few days off work to cycle from our beloved capital to my home in
the South West. The first day's ride would be from...
Forum: UK June 3rd 09, 10:20 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 2
Posted By Oaf
700c wheels

Hello,

Need some 700c wheels for my fixie project; 32 or 36 spokes for the
hub. Had a quick look on Ye Nette but couldn't find a great deal... is
Ebay the way forward?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Oaf
Forum: UK May 26th 09, 01:51 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By Oaf
Tour Series

Dunno whether anyone has been to see any of these inner-city road
races, but the Tour Series comes to Exeter on Thursday evening (http://
is.gd/EPhk).

A couple of friends and I are doing the...
Forum: UK May 17th 09, 07:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 21
Posted By Oaf
Today's ride / wet weather gear

10 mins before due to go on usual Sunday morning ride: dry roads.
2 mins before due to go on usual Sunday morning ride: stair-rods.

Went out anyway and tried to ignore the precipitation but after...
Forum: UK March 23rd 09, 06:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By Oaf
Cracked frame

Hello,

Was rather dismayed to find a large crack in the frame of my Dahon
Vitesse folder this afternoon. It's in the "down tube" (if it had
one): the bit that supports the seatpost. It's cracked...
Forum: UK March 7th 09, 03:49 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By Oaf
Dark Side questions

Hello,

A friend of mine is embarking on a writing exercise that involves a
character who has a recumbent. He's asked me some questions about
riding 'bents which I can't answer, what with me not...
Forum: UK February 14th 09, 08:38 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Oaf
V-pull brake pad adjustment

Thanks to all for their thoughts.

Not sure what it was, really. I took everything off and started again
and it's a lot better now. The pads rub against the rim fractionally
when turning the wheel...
Forum: UK February 14th 09, 02:47 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Oaf
V-pull brake pad adjustment

Just wondered whether anyone could assist me with a mechanical problem
I have.

I've fitted some new brake pads to The Wee Bike: my Dahon Vitesse
folder. It has V-pull cantilever brakes.

Pressing...
Forum: UK January 1st 09, 11:08 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
New year upgrade

If trying to keep the budget down, then just fit the triple ring, it will
save having to swap the rear cogs and the left (rear) shifter to 9-speed.

Thanks for this. Took it to the LBS who...
Forum: UK January 1st 09, 11:06 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
New year upgrade

Flip the stem upside down to get a few mm of rise, or swap it for a 73
degree (aka 17 degree) one to get about an inch. *An 80 or 90mm 73deg stem
would make a lot of difference to your...
Forum: UK December 26th 08, 12:45 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
New year upgrade

What kind of stem have you got: quill or ahead?

The latter. (Thanks for the other advice, by the way)

Oaf
Forum: UK December 26th 08, 12:16 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
New year upgrade

Am considering replacing the groupset on my Winter hack in the New
Year as it's pretty worn. Currently have 105 kit; 8 on the back & 2 on
the front with touring-style Shimano bar-end shifters. Was...
Forum: UK December 26th 08, 11:53 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Oaf
Out biking on Christmas Day

Hopefully the quiet state of urc this morning means that you re all still out
on your wheels!!!!

It's a tradition I have to go out on Christmas morning. Did a 50-miler
yesterday: down to...
Forum: UK October 23rd 08, 07:30 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By Oaf
Contemplating a fixie

Am abiding by the "n + 1" rule and thinking about getting a fixie to
add to the ever-growing army. Rather than splashing out on a new one,
was going to scout around for an old frame and convert it....
Forum: UK August 21st 08, 07:15 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
Rear light for rack

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.rec.cycling/msg/37bc857c3069493f?
hl=en

Many thanks for that.

Oaf
Forum: UK August 21st 08, 06:57 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
Rear light for rack

Hello,

Does anyone have any suggestions for good rear lights that'll fit onto
a rack with fittings between 50 & 80 mm apart? I did have a Hella
which was very bright and emitted a steady light (I...
Forum: UK July 24th 08, 07:51 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
Looking for a winter hack frame

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, I'm very limited when it
comes to the mechanical means that have been described here, so I
think I've got as far as I can with respect to getting the...
Forum: UK July 22nd 08, 07:51 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Oaf
Looking for a winter hack frame

Hello,

Have picked up a 2nd hand bike from a chap at work which I intended to
use as a winter hack. Unfortunately, the seatpost is stuck in the
frame [1] at a position too high for me and won't...
Forum: UK July 17th 08, 01:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 1
Posted By Oaf
Tri-bar recommendations

I'm looking at getting some tri-bars for my road bike in a vain
attempt to keep up with some of the "keenies" in my cycling club.

As with a lot of things, it seems like the general way of things...
Forum: UK April 12th 08, 06:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Oaf
Seen on the back of a packet of Smarties

"What H should you always wear when riding a bike?"

My answer was "High-visibility clothing" which didn't correspond with
the one supplied.

Oaf
Forum: UK February 12th 08, 07:14 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Oaf
Thank you Tarmac!

Must be something in the air.

Seconded - a gritting lorry was stuck behind me on the way home
yesterday and rather than trying to squeeze past, actually waited
until the road was clear. *And* he...
Forum: UK December 14th 07, 08:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 0
Posted By Oaf
For sale: Dahon luggage rack for folder

Not content with buying one rear rack for my Dahon Vitesse folding
bike, I bought two! It was purely a mistake on my part, so I'm looking
to sell one of them.

It looks like...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 39