Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 3.34 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mark T[_2_]
Forum: UK June 30th 08, 07:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Are these secure bike 'bins' any good for stopping theft?

Jeremiah writtificated

Cut or remove your own brake cables before leaving the bike leaned up
against the shop, but keep your eyes open for when the snatch happens
(or maybe have an alarm that...
Forum: UK June 30th 08, 02:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Are these secure bike 'bins' any good for stopping theft?

Jermiah writtificated

but I have no real
alternative to keeping that at the front of my house (lots of narrow
steps and corridors).

What about a folder? Bromptons are small and quick, or...
Forum: UK June 29th 08, 09:03 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 24
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
A topical cartoon

Brownz (Mobile) writtificated

Freedom of choice IMO - if you want to wear one fair play - if you
don't fair play, just don't keep banging on about it - like when
someone posts a link to a...
Forum: UK June 28th 08, 04:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 24
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
A topical cartoon

Brownz (Mobile) writtificated

But where did he get the *elm*t from?

Why the **** [etc]

Time of the month?
Forum: UK June 27th 08, 01:00 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 66
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Entertaining Letters in Local Rag

From the Manchester Evening News letter pages, 27th June 2008[1]:

"The [traffic] congestion is the fault of the council in the first place,
but they arrogantly put the cause down to the...
Forum: UK June 26th 08, 06:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Which locks have the best weight to security ratio?

bornfree writtificated

In other words, I want a "lightweight" lock which will withstand theft
attempts.

Thanks! :)

The Abus Bordo 75 is under a kilo. Whilst it'll be easily broken through...
Forum: UK June 26th 08, 06:47 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
How would you ride this?

Ian Jackson writtificated

However, despite a lack of segregated facilities cycling KSI rates are
comparable to that of pedestrians.

You meant `because of' rather than `despite'.

:)
Forum: UK June 26th 08, 03:05 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
How would you ride this?

Neil Williams writtificated

Except for that if this occurs at each stop on the bus route, let's
say there are 10 stops in a given city centre, that's going to be a
couple of minutes - and...
Forum: UK June 26th 08, 09:42 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Wheel truing - what is a reasonable price?

icogs writtificated

How much would you expect to pay to have a wheel trued at your LBS?

Locally everyone seems to charge £7 to true a wheel. I'd happily pay up to
£10.

Also, is this a common...
Forum: UK June 26th 08, 09:35 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Get your stolen bike back

Pete Biggs writtificated

I don't expect the
police to go round scanning random bikes on the street

Quite, but they *do* check frame numbers of random bikes in the street[1].

[1] Well, frame...
Forum: UK June 26th 08, 09:32 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
How would you ride this?

Just zis Guy, you know? writtificated

How much space do you need?

More than the bus gave the oncoming driver.

Certainly more than three ****ing feet between my head and 10 tonnes of
metal...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 11:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Get your stolen bike back

Helen Deborah Vecht writtificated

I've had several bikes stolen.
Most were reported to the police.
I knew the frame numbers.
It never made any difference.

You can have some chance or no...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 10:08 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
How would you ride this?

Neil Williams writtificated

Indeed. Which is why Dutch-style segregated lanes are better than
cycles in a bus lane. Apart from that cycles and buses are
fundamentally incompatible[1] and...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 09:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Get your stolen bike back

Just had an interesting talk with a policeman.

Tags, it seems, are merely a deterrent to theft. The problem with them is
that when plod spots an oik with a too-nice-for-him bike he doesn't have...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 08:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
How would you ride this?

Marz writtificated

I'm not seeing the problem here

The problem is that 10 tonnes of metal whooshing by a few feet away at
30mph is unnerving, and I'm used to it.

For someone new to cycling, it...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 06:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Speedo

Colin McKenzie writtificated

diameter

Circumference.

:)
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 11:05 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 35
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Calculating Money Saved via Cycling

Adam Lea writtificated

In my case it is not the cost but the time taken to get it serviced.
Why is it that I can book my car into a garage and I can get a service
and MOT done in one day, but...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 10:58 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Speedo

Dave writtificated

I am possibly after a new one to replace my Sigma 400 that is a little
restrictive on tyre sizes.

Even the cheapest cycle computers that I've used let you enter your own...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 10:54 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
How would you ride this?

LSMike writtificated

Take a look at this stretch of road, and discuss where you'd ride, and
how you'd deal with the traffic:

Plenty of space for a car to pass, but a bus gets a little close for...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 09:40 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
rhino bike

Capt T writtificated

A seized front fork is not easy to service, and you won't be able to
get spares for that one. An LBS will probably want to replace it.

Whats an LBS?

A local bike...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 09:35 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 27
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Tips to Go Green...

Adam Lea writtificated

At 19 was "Go to a car wash".

Why is that more efficient than hand washing? I use about two buckets
of water to wash mine. I find it hard to believe that a car wash...
Forum: UK June 25th 08, 09:31 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Raleigh City bike from years ago

James Thomson writtificated

Just wondered if it might have any value - perhaps if I do it up.

If you mean resale value, roadster bikes in "as found" condition -
unless they're particularly...
Forum: UK June 24th 08, 11:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Raleigh City bike from years ago

dannyfrankszzz writtificated

I googled Withington Cycles but their site seems to be down. However,
the shop still seems to be running.

This is prolly too much info but:

The shop is indeedy...
Forum: UK June 22nd 08, 05:53 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Replies: 615
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
The latest road fashion... was (Non-) Use of cycling facilities

Andreas Schulze-Bäing writtificated

forcing cyclists to wear high-viz [...]

Also, forcing cyclists to wear high-viz is inconsistent unless pedestrians
-who suffer similar KSI rates per mile- are...
Forum: UK June 21st 08, 09:43 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Mark T[_2_]
Rear wheel 'too small'

Nat writtificated

I wonder if any of you have ever encountered this problem. Every time
I try to change the back wheel, I have some inner tube left over which
causes a bump. It is almost as...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500