Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Chalo
Forum: Techniques June 20th 20, 10:39 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 13
Posted By Chalo
Tubeless tire FAQ

If I had tubeless tires, I'd have to deal with tire diarrhea a lot more often than I get flats now. I expect that sooner or later, even the most gullible fashion-chasing chumps will figure it out,...
Forum: Techniques June 20th 20, 10:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Chalo
Bicycle commuting

And yet, countless people commute by bicycle, in California and everywhere else. The cowardly will insist it can't be done, while it's happening in front of them.
Forum: Techniques June 2nd 20, 10:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Chalo
Interesting corrosion failure

I see occasional multiple spoke failures on almost unused bikes, with spokes broken at random locations along their lengths. These wheels always have many small inconspicuous dark specks of...
Forum: Techniques May 11th 20, 08:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Chalo
Tubeless after 2 years.

After watching my co-workers jack around and make messes with tubeless tires, I was cured of ever wanting to try them.

My conclusion was this: if you're lucky, tubeless tires take the same amount...
Forum: Techniques May 11th 20, 04:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By Chalo
Mavic in receivership

They've been overpriced garbage merchants since Adidas Salomon bought them up way back when. I'll be glad to see them fail and take lots of stupid money down with them.
Forum: Techniques May 10th 20, 07:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Chalo
Can we sustain the bike boom when the pandemic is over? Based onhistory, probably not.

At my bike shop, we have more work than we can stand. We sell cheap bikes, we sell nice bikes-- but more than anything we are reanimating bikes that have been entombed, or left outside, for...
Forum: Techniques March 16th 20, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 52
Posted By Chalo
France discovers 1997 technology!

E-bikes don't inflict pollution, noise, or significant risk of major injury upon other people in their vicinity. They are thermodynamically several times more efficient than stinking gas scooters. ...
Forum: Techniques January 23rd 20, 06:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 99
Posted By Chalo
Bicycle Parts in the News

John B. wrote:

But of course as soon as the police lose their guns crime will
increase
and than he'll be complaining about that.

Places where cops don't usually have guns exhibit much...
Forum: Techniques January 23rd 20, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 32
Posted By Chalo
WOT (Way off topic)

way off topic, I wonder what became of Carl Fogel?
Forum: Techniques January 23rd 20, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Chalo
Greta Himmler & Bicycles

AMuzi wrote:

As soon as transport, hand labor and processing are free,
this
will be a great idea.

You seem to imply that solid waste doesn't require transport, hand labor, or processing...
Forum: Techniques January 21st 20, 09:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 208
Posted By Chalo
Sad helmet incident

Oculus Lights wrote:

Twice, I would have been dead if not for wearing a helmet when I
crashed on a bike.

Helmet wearers love to make assertions like this. If they were anything like true,...
Forum: Techniques January 21st 20, 06:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 99
Posted By Chalo
Bicycle Parts in the News

Tom Kunich wrote:

Murder by cop. Not at all infrequent.

Fixed that for you.
Forum: Techniques January 16th 20, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 89
Posted By Chalo
Hitting your head

sms wrote:
You may not like wearing a helmet, but the statistical evidence on
thebenefit of helmets is overwhelming and irrefutable.

It's really not. All kinds of selected-group studies have...
Forum: Techniques January 15th 20, 08:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 89
Posted By Chalo
Hitting your head

If injury and fatality rates among cyclists are a reflection of risk-- and I think they are-- them helmets don't help overall. In my cycling lifetime, helmet use has risen from approximately zero...
Forum: Techniques January 10th 20, 12:18 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 253
Posted By Chalo
Really, really dumb

Y'all white dudes should take this horse puckey to freerepublic or some other sewer, because it's stupid and tiresome.
Forum: Techniques December 24th 19, 10:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 110
Posted By Chalo
Self Driving Vehicles

jbeattie wrote:

They are obligated to follow the law, whatever it may be. People
do need to read the VC and act accordingly. If everyone is playing
by the same rules, it is more likely...
Forum: Techniques December 20th 19, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 114
Posted By Chalo
Yikes! Di2

jbeattie wrote:

https://tinyurl.com/wrk5fvk
20 clams. I'm not sure if the right has a friction option.

I've gotten those for 8 and 9 speed bikes. Microshift makes some too, costlier...
Forum: Techniques December 20th 19, 06:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 114
Posted By Chalo
Yikes! Di2

Tom Kunich wrote:

Frank, How many people do you suppose there are left in the world
that use downtube shifters?

I see more bikes with downtube shifters at the shop than I do of all...
Forum: Techniques December 15th 19, 07:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 205
Posted By Chalo
Bike adjustments

Bicycle hydraulic brakes are not nearly as reliable or durable as any such brakes used on a motor vehicle (even a cheap motorcycle or scooter).

Also, bicycles don't have the sort of long,...
Forum: Techniques December 14th 19, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 107
Posted By Chalo
In praise of Brooks saddles

John B. wrote:

But why do you insist making your comparison with a society that has,
in many cases, been "on the dole" for generations, that apparently has
no motivation what so ever to...
Forum: Techniques December 14th 19, 06:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 107
Posted By Chalo
In praise of Brooks saddles

I think Huey Long had it right. In fact, I think he was killed for getting the formula right for the largest possible number of people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_Our_Wealth
Forum: Techniques December 13th 19, 07:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 107
Posted By Chalo
In praise of Brooks saddles

Tom Kunich wrote:

"pro-capitalist"? You don't believe that you should have to make
your own way in this life? That the F-ing world owes you a living?

No, I believe working people deserve...
Forum: Techniques December 13th 19, 05:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Chalo
Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

jbeattie wrote:

Are all motorists unethical? What about passengers in motor
vehicles?https://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/interactive/2016/09/world/mother-teresa-photos/media/01.jpg
Is there special...
Forum: Techniques December 13th 19, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 107
Posted By Chalo
In praise of Brooks saddles

John B. wrote:

[...] unemployed in Detroit, some of which were 3rd generation
unemployed.

Sounds like you've been licking up pro-capitalist propaganda.

Why is it that those who are most...
Forum: Techniques December 13th 19, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Chalo
Cyclist shot and wounded in San Jose area.

John B. wrote:

By Gorry! You are correct! If we could just get rid of all the motor
vehicles the bicycles would be safe.

That's how ethics work. If you unilaterally inflict a harm or impose...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500