Showing results 1 to 25 of 236
Search took 0.29 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Artemisia
Forum: General December 27th 09, 06:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 2
Posted By Artemisia
Evolution and beauty [ Swiss beauties]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Nov 12, 1:27 am, Jobst Brandt wrote:

Places like those would
be even more inhospitable for members of primitive cultures, like we
all were...
Forum: General March 21st 09, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 1
Posted By Artemisia
The Value of Face Masks While Biking in an Urban Environment

Dave wrote:
Do you live in a big city or an area where you are sometimes forced to
inhale car and truck exhaust? If so, you should strongly consider
using a face mask, because exhaust causes...
Forum: General March 15th 09, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By Artemisia
Looking for 'inn to inn' bike tours in Europe

wrote:
What are your recommendations for a good 1-2 week bike tour in
Europe. Ideally, we like to bike from 'last night's inn' to 'tonights
bed and breakfast' so that we...
Forum: Techniques December 31st 08, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 45
Posted By Artemisia
Negotiating With Insurance Company

Steve Sr. wrote:

The dog
got in front of my front wheel and caused a crash at about 20-25MPH.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the dog?

EFR
Ile de France
Forum: General December 31st 08, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 46

Steve Sr. wrote:

The dog
got in front of my front wheel and caused a crash at about 20-25MPH.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the dog?

EFR
Ile de France
Forum: General December 31st 08, 05:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 33
Posted By Artemisia
Dahon Folding Bike vs Friday Folding Bike

c wrote:

I tried to buy one of these Tournados in France, but here it is unknown.
Near the borders, I also tried in Spain and in the UK and some vendors
said me that is no more produced. What...
Forum: General December 31st 08, 05:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 33
Posted By Artemisia
Dahon Folding Bike vs Friday Folding Bike

Tom Sherman wrote:

Is there a good resource for determining the country of origin of
bicycles? I prefer to buy products made in democratic states with decent
wages (e.g. Japan, CE, US,...
Forum: UK December 25th 08, 01:00 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Artemisia
Sunday early morning ride.

Trevor A Panther wrote:

Surprisingly my 101 yr old dad wears one on each wrist and believes they
work.

I do not believe -- but then I have never tried it!

Cheap and easy to test out...
Forum: UK December 24th 08, 05:31 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Artemisia
Sunday early morning ride.

Trevor A Panther wrote:

in bed at night when the ache in my right arm and shoulder gets too
intrusive.

Ever tried a copper wrist-band for that? Worked for me.
Won't keep you warm...
Forum: UK November 11th 08, 06:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 39
Posted By Artemisia
Serious question - training someone to ride a bicycle?

chris French wrote:

Ah, but the pink thing doesn't always last for ever.

But she's passed through the pink phase and now actively dislikes many
things too pink.

She'll be into black...
Forum: UK November 11th 08, 06:12 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 39
Posted By Artemisia
Serious question - training someone to ride a bicycle?

Brian Robertson wrote:

Thank you for asking that question. The answers have given me some clues as
to how to get my lady in the saddle. Would love nothing more than to share
cycling with...
Forum: General November 11th 08, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 13
Posted By Artemisia
Bike Rental in Paris

Tom Keats wrote:
But AIUI, Velib isn't so much a /rental/
scheme -- users make a gesture of good faith by paying a
returnable deposit on the bike they "borrow", the deposit
being returned...
Forum: General November 11th 08, 05:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 13
Posted By Artemisia
Bike Rental in Paris

That is not city, idiot. Paris is the first rental bike city, not
first rental bike college.

That is not at all true. In France alone, Lyons and Rennes had public
bike rental schemes way...
Forum: UK October 11th 08, 12:13 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 34
Posted By Artemisia
new bike ;-)

Pete Biggs wrote:
With any bike that steers to one side no-handed, it could be caused by
something serious like bent forks, or something trivial like a brake cable
housing being too short on one...
Forum: General October 11th 08, 12:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 36
Posted By Artemisia
3 Punctures in 3 Consecutive Days?

John Pitts wrote:

As others have said here, a small hole can cause the tube to fail. I
had the very same problem last week - three flats in a couple of days,
in the same location on the tube....
Forum: UK October 11th 08, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 34
Posted By Artemisia
3 Punctures in 3 Consecutive Days?

wrote:

It turns out that the mousse replaces air. I recall hearing
of various self-sealing solutions ,however I have had
no practical experience of them.

Schwalbe also...
Forum: General October 11th 08, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

It turns out that the mousse replaces air. I recall hearing
of various self-sealing solutions ,however I have had
no practical experience of them.

Schwalbe also...
Forum: General October 11th 08, 11:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 36
Posted By Artemisia
3 Punctures in 3 Consecutive Days - Change Tyre Type?

Tom Keats wrote:

Visual inspection isn't really enough. Tactile inspection
often finds stuff that the eyes miss.

But I always do tactile inspection. I've gone over the whole tyre with
my...
Forum: UK October 11th 08, 11:44 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

Tom Keats wrote:

Visual inspection isn't really enough. Tactile inspection
often finds stuff that the eyes miss.

But I always do tactile inspection. I've gone over the whole tyre with
my...
Forum: General October 10th 08, 07:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 36
Posted By Artemisia
3 Punctures in 3 Consecutive Days?

rms wrote:
The trip to work takes over a very nasty dirt path, and in this season
there is a lot of slippery vegetation on the road, including
quantities of thorny horse-chestnuts.

Forum: UK October 10th 08, 07:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling

rms wrote:
The trip to work takes over a very nasty dirt path, and in this season
there is a lot of slippery vegetation on the road, including
quantities of thorny horse-chestnuts.

Forum: General September 8th 08, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 52
Posted By Artemisia
Anyone Recommend a Good Online Source for Dynamos in US?

SMS wrote:

What I'd really like to see is a commercial hybrid system with a hub
dynamo that charges a 3W Cree LED headlight with an internal
rechargeable battery.

Me too. I've been looking...
Forum: General September 7th 08, 10:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 52
Posted By Artemisia
Anyone Recommend a Good Online Source for Dynamos in US?

Frank Krygowski wrote:

"Everyone (who doesn't use one) complains that dynamos slow you down.

Personally I can't stand dynamos. I had an upmarket hub dynamo on one
bike, and various lesser bottle...
Forum: General September 6th 08, 12:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 52
Posted By Artemisia
Anyone Recommend a Good Online Source for Dynamos in US?

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Bike dynamos or generators aere a bit hard to find in the US, but not
impossible.

In contrast: On a recent trip to Austria I wandered into a combination
bike shop...
Forum: UK July 11th 08, 06:52 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 46
Posted By Artemisia
What to do about viscious dogs

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Tim Woodall wrote:

Completely OT - but every time I see the subject of this thread I read
it as "What to do about viscous dogs" and I have this vision of dogs
made...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 236