Showing results 1 to 25 of 400
Search took 0.66 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Henderson
Forum: Techniques May 13th 13, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 82
Posted By John Henderson
CHARTING THE ATTEMPT BY GENE DANIELS aka DATAKOLL TO TAKE OVER rec. bicycles.tech (RBT)

Andre Jute wrote:

If netbully Gene Daniels aka Datakoll threatened to steal your pay packet, as he openly does to me, I would stand up for you.

Gene has a wicked sense of humour, and you're such...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 13, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 82
Posted By John Henderson
speaking of Jobst

James wrote:

Noting that they say "It¢s unique to the north-east area, ", which I
assume means north-east of Victoria, and not as far south as Melbourne.

Nasty!

There have been a couple of...
Forum: Techniques January 5th 13, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 82
Posted By John Henderson
speaking of Jobst

James wrote:

There's plenty of not harmful critters. We like to emphasize the
harmful ones though, to scare away possible immigrants ;-)

And we haven't even mentiomed the drop bears yet!

John
Forum: Techniques January 3rd 13, 09:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 82
Posted By John Henderson
speaking of Jobst

James wrote:

I never understood the anti sunglasses rants. Eyes are sensitive parts
and I for one prefer to wear sun glasses than not, and I have experience
of not. If he didn't want to,...
Forum: Australia November 1st 12, 12:03 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 6
Posted By John Henderson
just what does this mean?

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

So if you stop for a yellow you are fined?

Before you start crossing?

In the middle of the road whan the colour changes?

It doesn't even make much sense if you work out...
Forum: Australia October 31st 12, 09:32 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 6
Posted By John Henderson
just what does this mean?

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

From
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/downloads/nsw_road_rules_2012.pdf

which is the latest change to NSW road rules.

I quote verbatim:

Pedestrians or...
Forum: Australia August 1st 12, 10:10 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 5
Posted By John Henderson
Royal National Park - Sydney

Rob wrote:

But there are many fire trails in the park not sure what there status is
to bike.

Here you go:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCycling.aspx?id=N0030

John
Forum: Techniques March 3rd 12, 12:00 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By John Henderson
Helmet mounted bicycle squirt gun

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.google.com/patents/US5735440?printsec=drawing

With a rearwards-facing nozzle, that's just what we Australians
need to defend ourselves against stealth attacks...
Forum: Techniques February 19th 12, 09:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By John Henderson
Cancellara's battery

I wrote:

Of course. I've asked the question (battery or capacitor) on
the sci.chem.electrochem.battery group. If any of the old guard
still read it, we should get a definitive answer...
Forum: Techniques February 16th 12, 12:53 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By John Henderson
Cancellara's battery

Joe Riel wrote:

Electrolytic capacitors do. That is the most common type of large
capacitor. They are polarized. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

Of course. I've...
Forum: Techniques February 15th 12, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By John Henderson
Cancellara's battery

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

It's not really a battery, even though it's being promoted by battery
manufacturers. It's a (super) capacitor.
Forum: Techniques February 14th 12, 11:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By John Henderson
Cancellara's battery The weight of conspiracy

I wrote:

Never let the facts get in the way of perpetuating an urban myth.
I do apologise for my sensationalist way of introducing a
promising new technology.

In fact, I propose the...
Forum: Techniques February 14th 12, 11:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By John Henderson
Cancellara's battery The weight of conspiracy

wrote:

I thought that the bikes are weighed for all the teams. It seems that with
the battery and the weight of a possible motor capable of 1/4 horse power,
Forum: Techniques February 14th 12, 08:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By John Henderson
Cancellara's battery

It's no wonder they couldn't find an AA cell or two hidden in his
bicycle frame. It's now obvious he was using a prototype
structural battery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17014808

John
Forum: Techniques February 8th 12, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By John Henderson
Cyclist hit from behind by barrister

James wrote:

I haven't watched this yet, but could be worth a look.

I watched it. Part 2 of 2 will be shown next Monday at 8pm.

It's as the Australian cycling community suspected all along
with...
Forum: Australia February 5th 12, 08:08 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 1
Posted By John Henderson
Australian Story

Tonight (Mon, 6 Feb) on ABC TV at 8pm - advertised as:

"The inside story of a notorious hit-and-run incident that left
a cyclist dead and challenged the justice system."

John
Forum: Australia November 14th 11, 08:22 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 21
Posted By John Henderson
700/38 vs 700/23 tyres on a "comfort" hybrid commuter bike.

terryc wrote:

Taah, thanks for the heads up. I have a few petrified tyres that need
replacment. {:-).

The last time I bought a 27 x 1 1/4 tyre from K-Mart, the
sidewall blew out within the...
Forum: Australia November 9th 11, 05:36 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 21
Posted By John Henderson
700/38 vs 700/23 tyres on a "comfort" hybrid commuter bike.

Theo Bekkers wrote:

We've had this discussion before and there's no argument that the
rolling resistance of a wide tire and a narrow tire are the same when
both are at the same pressure....
Forum: Australia November 9th 11, 01:13 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 21
Posted By John Henderson
700/38 vs 700/23 tyres on a "comfort" hybrid commuter bike.

F Murtz wrote:

What about the fact that the skinny tyre is often run at over 100 PSI
and the fat tyre at 40 PSI

Run the wide tyre at its rated maximum instead of 40 PSI. It'll
be more...
Forum: Australia November 8th 11, 11:35 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 21
Posted By John Henderson
700/38 vs 700/23 tyres on a "comfort" hybrid commuter bike.

Rob wrote:

Its true wider tyres will have a higher rolling resistance. Even just a
small increase.

That's a myth, and a false one at that. See eg:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3suok2f

John
Forum: Australia November 8th 11, 09:10 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 21
Posted By John Henderson
700/38 vs 700/23 tyres on a "comfort" hybrid commuter bike.

Patrick wrote:

You can buy two wider "city" tyres which are designed for the wider rim
width and will give you better ride and wear (and slightly higher
rolling resistance) for about $30 a...
Forum: Australia November 4th 11, 08:14 PM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 6
Posted By John Henderson
Shimano 6sp

Travis wrote:

Is there more than one type of Shimano 6sp or is it all
intercompatible? I've heard that this was a standard class of cheap
Shimano groupsets and therefore that chains,...
Forum: Techniques November 1st 11, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By John Henderson
"Slipping" Power Train

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Any theories out there or advice on how to troubleshoot this issue? Clearly
she can't just let it slide; this could have been a severe accident under
other...
Forum: Australia October 6th 11, 05:00 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 25
Posted By John Henderson
E Bikes

terryc wrote:

I thought is was 200 watts in NSW, but 250 watts in some other states
with victoria also requiring tha it didn't work unless the pedals were
turning. Perhaps that story from...
Forum: Australia October 5th 11, 09:06 AM Posted to aus.bicycle
Replies: 25
Posted By John Henderson
E Bikes

Rob wrote:

What I was suggesting was placing energy back into the battery so as to
extend the range of the charge, even if it was only 10%.

On your proposal, is the charging done only when the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 400