Search: Posts made by: Tanguy Ortolo
Forum: Techniques February 20th 19, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Front cracking noise

Hello again,

I have finished repairing my front hub dynamo, that was making a
cracking or clicking noise, and that eventually started to produce a
high drag against wheel rotation.

That hub dynamo...
Forum: Techniques February 20th 19, 01:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Front cracking noise

Hello all,

Final update, now that I have opened, cleaned and replaced the balls in
my front hub dynamo that was making cracking or clicking noises.

The hub dynamo was a Shimano DH-3N31. I was able...
Forum: Techniques February 14th 19, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 103
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Front cracking noise

Rolf Mantel, 2019-02-14 12:04+0100:
Am 14.02.2019 um 11:54 schrieb Tanguy Ortolo:
To me, quick release is a synonym of quick breaking and quick
stealing.

Talking more precisely, you can...
Forum: Techniques February 14th 19, 11:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 103
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Front cracking noise

Rolf Mantel, 2019-02-14 10:23+0100:
Am 14.02.2019 um 01:36 schrieb Sir Ridesalot:
Crikey! I sure wouldn't want a dynamo hub failure like that if I was riding far from home.

I've had a...
Forum: Techniques February 14th 19, 10:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 103
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Front cracking noise

Rolf Mantel, 2019-02-14 10:23+0100:
Am 14.02.2019 um 01:36 schrieb Sir Ridesalot:
Crikey! I sure wouldn't want a dynamo hub failure like that if I was riding far from home.

I've had a...
Forum: Techniques February 13th 19, 09:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 103
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Front cracking noise

Well in fact, I will not need to try with another wheel. As I was riding
home, the noise kept increasing, and at some point, my front wheel
started to slow me with a drag similar to slightly pulling...
Forum: Techniques February 13th 19, 12:56 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 103
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Front cracking noise

Last update, I tested it with the bike upside down, so the wheel was
completely unloaded. Reflectors removed, spokes tested and re-tensionned.

The noise is:

* coming from the front wheel;
* present...
Forum: Techniques February 13th 19, 09:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 103
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Front cracking noise

Frank Krygowski, 2019-02-12 15:40+0100:
I don't know how easy it is to inspect bearings on a
Shimano dynamo hub, but I'd be very reluctant to try
opening the hub until I'd eliminated all other...
Forum: Techniques December 1st 18, 10:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 205
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
A few months waxing chain

Frank Krygowski, 2018-11-30 18:11+0100:
Did you use pure paraffin wax, or did you add any oil to the melted wax?

About 2/3 paraffin wax and 1/3 paraffin oil.

--
Tanguy
Forum: Techniques November 30th 18, 12:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hello all,

A couple of months have passed since I switched to wax for chain
lubrication. I would estimate I rode about 3,000 kilometers with my
chain (cleaning it and lubricating it four times, I...
Forum: Techniques November 15th 18, 08:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
cleaning the bike

Joerg, 2018-11-15 00:12+0100:
Clean the bike? Why? It ain't Christmas yet.

The last time my bikes have seen water and a sponge was, ahm, well, I
can't even remember. I found that after...
Forum: Techniques November 14th 18, 10:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Replacing a used front rim

Tanguy Ortolo, 2018-11-12 18:24+0100:
Thanks for all the advice, I have just done the work, taping the rims
together and moving spokes one by one from one rim to the new one.

[…]

I...
Forum: Techniques November 12th 18, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Replacing a used front rim

Hello again,

Tanguy Ortolo, 2018-10-17 16:36+0200:
A couple of months ago, I noticed my rear rim was worn out, with some
scratches I attributed to braking with sand or gravel on the pads. I
Forum: Techniques November 7th 18, 01:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Preserving en-route repair material

Hello all,

As probably many of you, I keep essential repair tools and material in a
small bag under my saddle, that is: a folding screwdriver, a spare inner
tube, tire levers, patches, sandpaper and...
Forum: Techniques October 19th 18, 09:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 48
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
those darned NYC cyclists again

AMuzi, 2018-10-19 00:00+0200:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-says-bike-riding-crooks-swiped-95k-watch-off-his-wrist/

No harm done. The victim just has to buy a news watch for an
infinitesimal...
Forum: Techniques October 18th 18, 09:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Replacing a used front rim

Thank you all for the advice, I will carefully check the effective rim
diameter.

Now, since I am keeping the old hub, that contains a dynamo, and the
spokes, I will not exactly be building a wheel,...
Forum: Techniques October 17th 18, 03:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Replacing a used front rim

Hello all,

A couple of months ago, I noticed my rear rim was worn out, with some
scratches I attributed to braking with sand or gravel on the pads. I
therefore replaced the wheel, and noticed that...
Forum: Techniques October 17th 18, 01:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Replacing a used front rim

Hello all,

A couple of months ago, I noticed my rear rim was worn out, with some
scratches I attributed to braking with sand or gravel on the pads. I
therefore replaced the wheel, and noticed that...
Forum: Techniques August 14th 18, 08:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Homemade U-lock rack support

Tosspot, 2018-08-13 21:01+0200:
I've been very happy with these;

https://www.amazon.com/Abus-EaZy-Bracket-U-Shackle-Locks/dp/B003F88PY2

Not bad, it looks quite similar to what I had before,...
Forum: General August 14th 18, 08:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Learning how to ride a bicycle

Joy Beeson, 2018-08-14 00:23+0200:
Once she learns how to balance and pedal at the same time, she needs a
structured course from an expert instructor. Unfortunately, those are
very rare. The...
Forum: General August 13th 18, 04:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Learning how to ride a bicycle

Hello,

I have a friend (~ 25 years old) that never had a chance to learn how to
ride a bike. After a couple of years in Paris, she is now considering
the idea of eventually learning it, starting...
Forum: Techniques August 13th 18, 04:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Homemade U-lock rack support

Frank Krygowski, 2018-08-13 17:11+0200:
Nice. If the appearance was bothersome, you could use a black tube held
in place with black zip ties.

Black tube, yes, if I can find some, but I only...
Forum: Techniques August 13th 18, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Homemade U-lock rack support

Hello all,

A couple of months ago, I wrote a message about making a very simple
U-lock support on the rack, but without the pictures, it was quite
useless. I eventually remembered about this, so...
Forum: Techniques June 6th 18, 01:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 111
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Chain waxing

Theodore Heise, 2018-06-06 13:54+0200:
Recently we moved into a house that has a glossy black solid
topped range, and I didn't want to put the process onto it. So I
went out last weekend...
Forum: Techniques June 6th 18, 10:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 111
Posted By Tanguy Ortolo
Chain waxing

Hello,

For those interested in this, after my last inquiry about chain lubing,
I decided to wax my chain by immersing it in a hot mixture of solid and
liquid paraffin (with a ratio of 50% of...