Showing results 1 to 25 of 109
Search took 2.15 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bertrand
Forum: Techniques July 12th 17, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 132
Posted By Bertrand
"Standstill crash"

The 35th draft amendments will get enough votes, but by then, the bill
will be reduced to a minor change to the tax code ensuring breaks for
those who own three-leg Chihuahuas with flea...
Forum: Techniques June 2nd 17, 12:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Bertrand
Low profile tires ?

Sheldon published a table of rim width and usable tire widths.

I know about the charts. I meant the technology of HED wheels which are
recommended to be used with tires the same...
Forum: Techniques May 23rd 17, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 62
Posted By Bertrand
editorial opinion, steel frames

'"With steel, it’s relatively easy to fine-tune the bike’s flex
characteristics for optimum performance – what we call “planing”'

Hmm. Did you mean 'planning'? We all like to be...
Forum: Techniques March 31st 17, 12:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 387
Posted By Bertrand
Habanero shows up curved stays

Ok my Habby shows up and beautiful Ti. I got the model with the curved
stays as opposed to straight. I was surprised by the large curves in chain
and seat stays. Looks great have not had a...
Forum: Techniques January 3rd 17, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 77
Posted By Bertrand
Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

Just mounted the last Gatorskin on a shallow Mavic rim. What a bear.
Can't feel my thumbs anymore.

Try using this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K
Forum: Techniques November 23rd 16, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 43
Posted By Bertrand
Risk Management: WWIII vs Climate Change

Admittedly I haven't made a study of it but from a casual look it
appears that it is getting warmer. And, apparently, at least some if
it can be blamed on CO2 in the atmosphere. And, I saw some...
Forum: Techniques November 17th 16, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 55
Posted By Bertrand
PORTLAND CYCLE FESTIVAL

And then we have to do the northern wall.

The Canadian Border Patrol will handle that:

http://imgur.com/gallery/TYqpR
Forum: Techniques November 8th 16, 11:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 160
Posted By Bertrand
Aluminium or Chromoly frame?

Maybe the ride quality also depends on the geometry, and on
the interaction between rider and bike. The harshness you
experienced might not have been due to the frame...
Forum: Techniques November 8th 16, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 160
Posted By Bertrand
Aluminium or Chromoly frame?

No matter what you say or believe; I was the one on that Cannondale and
I know exactly how punishing it was to ride over cracks in the road or
on rough road surfaces or even on rough...
Forum: Techniques October 13th 16, 02:00 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 145
List of stores that allow bikes inside?

Years ago Budweiser came up with an advertising campaign...

They switched advertising firms and the new firm brought in an
advertising campaign ... "The one beer to have when you are
having...
Forum: Techniques September 11th 16, 04:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 129
Posted By Bertrand
Monthly cycling deaths, Sacramento :-(

Yes, some of my riding is on those lower speed limits. But almost all of
it is on streets and roads with 30 - 55 mph limits. And at a red light, I
am _always_ at lane center.

It's not...
Forum: Techniques July 27th 16, 09:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 93
Posted By Bertrand
DANGER - CARBON FIBER FRAMES

I guess they couldn't think of a rhyme for "birch".

Ogden Nash would have.

(rhymed 'purple' with 'maple syrple')

Or Frank Zappa, who rhymed "poncho" with...
Forum: Techniques July 15th 16, 12:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 143
Posted By Bertrand
material to do clamps

On a recent hike, I said "Hey! Feel the edge of this sign! We need
another sign saying 'WARNING! SIGN EDGES ARE SHARP!!'"

... and where does it end?

A very minor South Jersey...
Forum: Techniques June 17th 16, 11:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By Bertrand
Toughest road bike tires?

While I really like Continental Gatorskins because of their tough
running surface and acceptable cost per mile they have one major
drawback that almost all "modern" tires have: Weak side walls....
Forum: Techniques June 13th 16, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 149
Posted By Bertrand
At least 5 dead , 9 injured after pickup truck hits bicyclists from BEHIND

All I was saying is
that it does make sense to investigate whether or not the last rider had
a flashing rear light. Everyone knows that this greatly increases the
visibility of a...
Forum: Techniques June 1st 16, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 263
Posted By Bertrand
Rules of Thumb: Another squashed Portland cyclist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c61gtJ_Lo0 That's TriMet headed toward
my 'hood. Not much you can do there because you're creeping up a hill, and
there is a bike lane.

That's a really...
Forum: Techniques June 1st 16, 08:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Bertrand
A new invention to gain a longer power stroke. (Krankups)

Your discussion, above, about power meters, and your assertion that
you are an engineer is a bit confusing as the calculation of power is
basic physics and usually defined as Power = Work /...
Forum: Techniques May 15th 16, 12:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 34
Posted By Bertrand
Actual Technical Question: FD Braze-on versus Clamp

I was really proud of myself the other week. My wife and a friend
joined me for a concert in a distant city. We ate in a nice little
Italian restaurant. My wife asked me "What are these...
Forum: Techniques May 13th 16, 04:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 99
Posted By Bertrand
Study in to EU cyclist safety.

Serious injuries may be more difficult to compare between countries, I
think, because I'm not sure that the definitions are uniform, country to
country. IOW, which injuries qualify as...
Forum: Techniques April 23rd 16, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Bertrand
Ikea launcing flat pack pike with belt drive and auto gears: this is the revolution cyclists have waited for

And, by the way, where is America -- Omaha? Portland? America is a big
place.

http://www.mappery.com/maps/A-View-of-World-from-9th-Avenue-Map.jpg
Forum: Techniques April 7th 16, 01:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By Bertrand
Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

IIRC, Surly's warranty is only valid if a(n) LBS builds up the frame, as
well. But 3 years is perfectly reasonable, IMO. In other words, it's a
"free from defects" warranty - not a "will last...
Forum: Techniques April 2nd 16, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By Bertrand
April 1 and...

...every year I think "I miss Sheldon."

But Google has just introduced the self-driving bicycle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZPNwZex9s
Forum: Techniques January 26th 16, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 36
Posted By Bertrand
Arizona bicyclist struck and killed

"The crash happened just before noon. According to a media
release, Lyon-Surrey was riding west on Sunrise Drive in a
designated bicycle lane when Jacobson merged onto Sunrise...
Forum: Techniques January 22nd 16, 01:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 229
Posted By Bertrand
Turn your bike into a statement piece with these 7 beautiful wall mounts

Will you ever understand the difference between average speed and a
temporary one?

I understand the difference. The temporary one is the speed you'll
quote when you want to impress us with...
Forum: Techniques January 14th 16, 10:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Bertrand
Speaking of TDF equipment...

I wonder how often a rider won the tour specifically because he had some
new equipment that his chief rivals didn't.

What about Andy Schleck maybe losing the Tour in 2010 because his chain came...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 109