Showing results 1 to 25 of 150
Search took 0.68 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul Boyd
Forum: UK October 5th 06, 06:15 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Paul Boyd
Insurance?

On 05/10/2006 17:52, Steve Hodgson said,
Sorry for asking a question that probably comes up a lot.

Is there a recommended insurer for bikes that u.r.c people favour?

You could try the CTC....
Forum: UK October 4th 06, 06:52 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 31
Posted By Paul Boyd
Speed Humps

On 04/10/2006 16:04, POHB said,

I'd guess that most damage caused by humps is because folks have gone
over them too fast anyway

"Most" maybe, but there are a lot of humps that feel as if you're...
Forum: UK September 28th 06, 08:22 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 55
Posted By Paul Boyd
wet weather cycling

On 28/09/2006 19:59, Adam Lea said,
Having just got drenched on my commute home today (and finding out that the
quoted battery life on my front light is out by a factor of two) could
anyone...
Forum: UK September 24th 06, 09:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Paul Boyd
First taste of mountain biking [vague RR]

On 24/09/2006 19:54, David Nutter said,

What is this we saw ahead? Could it be that the impressively clad chaps from
outside the bike shop were having a little difficulty? Why, yes! Our party,
Forum: UK September 21st 06, 09:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 25
Posted By Paul Boyd
Thanks to Halfords.

On 21/09/2006 21:52, Josey said,

Our Halfords doesn't have any bike racks, in fact there is nothing to lock a
bike too except one tree very close to the "carpark motorway" or a sign in
the...
Forum: UK September 20th 06, 09:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Boyd
Woo hoo - but what would you do?

On 20/09/2006 21:22, David Martin said,

Rather than trying to re-engineer the situation to make a solution
easier, how would you work with the situation as it stands?

I don't really understand...
Forum: UK September 20th 06, 09:09 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul Boyd
First incident in ages

On 20/09/2006 20:25, said,

A vehicle
passing me with a speed differential of 20 or 30 mph has more of a duty
of care...

"Duty of care". There's a novel concept :-) Shame...
Forum: UK September 20th 06, 09:04 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Boyd
Woo hoo - but what would you do?

On 20/09/2006 20:39, David Martin said,

No. At present bicycles may not be brought to school becasue there are
no racks. It seems arbitrary to be allowed to ride one week but not the
Forum: UK September 20th 06, 08:59 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 29
Posted By Paul Boyd
Woo hoo - but what would you do?

On 20/09/2006 20:00, David Martin said,

This is a Primary school, years run from P1 to P7. These years are six
months older than the equivalent SOTB.

It's a whole different language!

There...
Forum: UK September 18th 06, 11:17 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 26
Posted By Paul Boyd
Raleigh Record

On 18/09/2006 22:14, John said,
I've recently taken up cycling again, after about 25 years off, and,
apart from getting useful exercise, am enjoying riding my Raleigh Record
racing bike...
Forum: UK September 18th 06, 11:00 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul Boyd
V-brakes on canti bosses

On 18/09/2006 21:00, RG said,

Yes the bosses are interchangeable BUT don't forget that the levers are
different ! Cantis and Vees have different amounts of cable pull to make
them work -...
Forum: UK September 18th 06, 07:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 28
Posted By Paul Boyd
Throw car away, Travel by Bike

On 18/09/2006 19:10, Colin said,

Any thoughts, i would be glad to hear them!,

Just in case of the purely hypothetical possibility that you do reverse
your decision, you might want to find out...
Forum: UK September 18th 06, 06:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul Boyd
V-brakes on canti bosses

On 18/09/2006 18:29, Peter Amey said,
Chris Eilbeck wrote:

It works for me.

Chris

and me.

Peter
Forum: UK September 18th 06, 06:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul Boyd
Rear Derailleur Problems - Go Down one at a time - go up twoat a time

On 18/09/2006 17:18, Simon Brooke said,

Certainly not. It's the autumn and winter that are the problems...

Ho ho ho!!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Quick question - can I fit V-brakes to a frame currently fitted with
cantilever brakes? (Ignore brake lever compatibility for the minute.)
The bosses look the same to me!

--
Paul...
Forum: UK September 17th 06, 08:18 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 17/09/2006 18:49, RG said,

2 I made some CraftyComputerPaper transfers (waterslide, laser printed in
black only) and applied them. I only finished the refurb a couple of weeks
ago and...
Forum: UK September 16th 06, 10:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul Boyd
The Mayor and the Leaflet

On 16/09/2006 21:27, Tom Crispin said,
As promised months ago, here's a picture of 'Cuddly Ken' and our
leaflet.

http://www.johnballcycling.org.uk/images/mayor.jpg

I don't see the...
Forum: UK September 16th 06, 07:09 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Paul Boyd
re ahead headset bearings

On 16/09/2006 18:18, geepeetee said,
I am intrigued now, the headset really doesn't have bearings. The headtube
is slightly conical at both ends and a circular split bush compresses into
the...
Forum: UK September 16th 06, 01:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul Boyd
Rear Derailleur Problems - Go Down one at a time - go up twoat a time

On 16/09/2006 12:52, PUSHERBOT said,

Shifting from smallest cog to biggest cog works fine - one cog at a
time. I'm pretty sure the tension is right or at least pretty close
here. However,...
Forum: UK September 14th 06, 06:28 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul Boyd
Clicking when pedalling hard

On 01/09/2006 21:23, said,
I bought a new Specialized Hardrock a few weeks ago from a bike shop
which is a long way from my home. I just got it back from a free
service, and...
Forum: UK August 30th 06, 08:51 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Paul Boyd
Fat man in London.

On 30/08/2006 19:28, Tom Anderson said,

Unlikely. I suspect you're confusing road tax and vehicle excise duty,
and, therefore, YOU LOSE AT URC!!!

No, I don't think so. I think the irony must...
Forum: UK August 28th 06, 03:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 30
Posted By Paul Boyd
SWT bans bikes

On 28/08/2006 15:20, John B said,

They are only running about 1 in 10 of their trains and need every one of
those "wardrobes" to cram in more commuters.

When I used the word "wardrobe", I was...
Forum: UK August 28th 06, 03:23 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 44
Posted By Paul Boyd
Beware of reflectors

On 28/08/2006 14:44, Simon Brooke said,

Centring the wheel in the dropouts.

You've lost me there! The springs go outside the dropouts, and the
dropouts should be the same width as the OLN...
Forum: UK August 28th 06, 03:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul Boyd
scott genius pressures

On 28/08/2006 14:13, Simon Brooke said,

So: pump up a bit; put the bike close to the wall; put a cable tie round
the ram of the shock; sit on the bike leaning lightly against the wall
for...
Forum: UK August 28th 06, 02:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 30
Posted By Paul Boyd
Cycling in north Wales for a not-quite-beginner

On 28/08/2006 10:10, Peter Scandrett said,

PS Is it normally such a nightmare to reserve bike places on trains?

....and if I was running the country, and was serious about sustainable
transport...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 150