Showing results 1 to 25 of 75
Search took 0.10 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: James Thomson
Forum: UK October 10th 06, 11:20 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By James Thomson
Chainring Question

"Kenneth Clements" a écrit:

My triple dates from 2000 and the rear mech I think is known as Medium
Cage and has a 20t capacity, that's why I'm going for a
44t...
Forum: UK October 10th 06, 11:19 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By James Thomson
Chainring Question

"Pete Biggs" a écrit:

I wouldn't mind a 25t 74mm myself. Anyone know where I could find
one (if they exist).

Pace used to make them....
Forum: Techniques October 6th 06, 02:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By James Thomson
Shimano 9 Speed to 10 Speed Upgrade Question

a écrit:

The smaller the frame, the closer the crank is to the axle (shorter
chainstays).

Dear Carl,

That's often not the case, and when it is, the differences are...
Forum: Techniques October 5th 06, 08:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By James Thomson
Need more setback for seatpost

"Ted" a écrit:

I'm thinking of getting a Nitto Triathlon S66 seatpost which has 50mm of
setback. Whenever I see a description of it, it says it's for moving the
seat...
Forum: Techniques October 4th 06, 05:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By James Thomson
Rohloff Speedhub / Bike Design Quesiton

"(PeteCresswell)" a écrit:

Per :

horizontal dropouts

a quick-release Rohloff, and

BMX chain-tensioners like this...
Forum: Techniques October 4th 06, 03:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By James Thomson
Rohloff Speedhub / Bike Design Quesiton

"Ted Bennett" a écrit:

Quick releases seem to work fine on tandems and low-geared
MTBs. Why would a Rohloff QR not be up to the job?

and:

I'd still like to know....
Forum: UK September 30th 06, 11:17 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 2
Posted By James Thomson
width of shimano freehubs

"Peter" a écrit:

I'm looking to try out a singlespeed bike on my old mtb, which currently
has a 7spd Deore freehub in it.
Is this the same width as a 8/9 spd...
Forum: UK September 18th 06, 09:09 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By James Thomson
re ahead headset bearings

Paul Boyd wrote:

*ALL* headsets use bearings, AFAIK.

"Rob Morley" a écrit:

Some small-wheelers have a ball race at the bottom and a nylon
bush at...
Forum: UK September 18th 06, 08:56 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By James Thomson
re ahead headset bearings

"geepeetee" a écrit:

I have had the top apart but I was short of hands to remove the forks.
The top has a 'stepped' bush with a cut in it to allow the diameter to
reduce...
Forum: UK September 18th 06, 08:49 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By James Thomson
re ahead headset bearings

"Pete Biggs" a écrit:

Actually, from the description it sounds more like it has this sort of
thing:

Forum: UK September 11th 06, 04:25 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 105
Posted By James Thomson
Cycle ban in town centre

"Tony Raven" a écrit:

OTOH the number of people in a city is more than just the inhabitants -
look at the great influx to any city on the rails and roads every morning...
Forum: UK September 11th 06, 03:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By James Thomson
compact chainset on a budget

"Pete Biggs" a écrit:

the Shimano spindle starting diameter is wrong for Campag cranks, so
they will be drawn on too far or not enough (sorry...
Forum: UK September 11th 06, 03:09 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 105
Posted By James Thomson
Cycle ban in town centre

"Tony Raven" a écrit:

France has a population density under half that of the UK, which helps a
lot

Dijon has a 54% greater population density than, for example,...
Forum: UK September 4th 06, 09:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By James Thomson
bar end shifter indexing

"tom" a écrit:

I have some Shimano 9-speed bar end shifters on my Dawes Galaxy.
When using them in indexed mode, I only get 5 clicks when changing
the rear...
Forum: UK September 2nd 06, 03:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By James Thomson
Front pannier mount for suspension forks..

"Nigel Cliffe" a écrit:

Tubus do something (put Tubus into Google, and if stuck for UK dealer,
Spa Cycles in Harrogate).

The Tubus...
Forum: UK September 1st 06, 07:47 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 13
Posted By James Thomson
Where to order a SON

"Marianne Promberger" a écrit:

James Thomson ) wrote:

Rose Versand, who didn't stock them at the time, now do.

Forum: UK September 1st 06, 12:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 13
Posted By James Thomson
Where to order a SON

"Brendan Halpin" a écrit:

Eurozone sites to save the currency exchange costs?

I bought mine a few years ago from:

http://www.bike-components.de/

Rose Versand, who didn't...
Forum: Techniques August 31st 06, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By James Thomson
Coda (Cannondale) Freehub Question??

"landotter" a écrit:

Is it a Shimano patent issue?

Yes: Shimano's patent specifies that the hub shell is threaded, and that the
fixing bolt should pass through the freehub...
Forum: Techniques August 31st 06, 12:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By James Thomson
Coda (Cannondale) Freehub Question??

"landotter" a écrit:

Nashbar's got a replacement freehub on sale for $20, I think there's a
good chance it'll fit if ya want a new mech: http://tinyurl.com/h27hw

If John's...
Forum: Techniques August 30th 06, 07:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By James Thomson
Coda (Cannondale) Freehub Question??

a écrit:

Can anyone give me some advise on how to remove a Coda
"Performance" freehub body?

This is what came with my wife's "Silk Path".

It appears to have some...
Forum: Techniques August 29th 06, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By James Thomson
Sturmey Archer internals compatibility

"Andrew W" a écrit:

so, this one would...
Forum: Techniques August 29th 06, 01:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By James Thomson
Fitting Magura rim brakes to bike without bosses.

"Andrew W" a écrit:

I am planning to add HS11 brakes to my Brompton to sidestep
problems with poor braking (ends of cables point up at the brake,
so water gets in...
Forum: Techniques August 29th 06, 01:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By James Thomson
Sturmey Archer internals compatibility

"Andrew W" a écrit:

I'm thinking of the Sprinter S5, which is currently available
(or a 4-speed, not sure of model, which come up on e-bay
from time to...
Forum: Techniques August 28th 06, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By James Thomson
Shimano 959 MTB Pedal Axel Adjust

"Paul Kopit" a écrit:

The nut does not seem to have anything to do with the axel.
It's tight.

Here's a pdf of an exploded view of the...
Forum: Techniques August 28th 06, 08:58 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By James Thomson
Road cranks on a MTB frame?

"Lowell Walmsley" a écrit:

I have a mid-90's StumpJumper that I ride only on the road and I'd like to
increase the gearing a little. I also have an Ultegra 3 speed crank from...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 75