Showing results 1 to 25 of 27
Search took 1.07 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: VeloJon
Forum: Techniques March 17th 12, 03:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By VeloJon
Rear spacing 126 == 130mm?

How tricky is cold-setting the rear spacing on a 1980s-vintage steel
frame from126mm to 130mm? I did a test run on a throwaway frame using
a threaded rod with a pair of nuts between the dropouts and...
Forum: Techniques August 6th 07, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 38
Posted By VeloJon
Spoke count

I've built several sets of "traditional" road wheels, e.g. 32-spoke 3-
cross patterns that have held up well. Now I want to try a set with
fewer spokes using bladed spokes, and not looking for...
Forum: Racing July 24th 07, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 6
Posted By VeloJon
Vino sucks?

On Jul 24, 12:07 pm, shane wrote:
Yes, there is pretty much zero doubt that Vino is as selfish as they
come.
On the other hand, not sure what Kloeden was thinking...
Forum: Techniques June 20th 07, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By VeloJon
Merlin vs. Litespeed vs. Moots

I am soliciting opinions on the basic build quality of the major Ti
frame builders. I am not interested in design elements, components,
etc. just quality and workmanship on the frames and only on...
Forum: Racing June 14th 07, 06:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 3
Posted By VeloJon
Zabriskie the stage racer?

So Dave Z. zooms up Ventoux with the leaders - Can he ever win a big
stage race?
Forum: Techniques June 5th 07, 09:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By VeloJon
Non-threaded cable 'mounts' vs threaded cable adjusters?

On Jun 5, 4:45 pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On Jun 5, 1:11 pm, richard wrote:

My new frame (Van Nicholas Chinook -http://www.vannicholas.com)
appears...
Forum: Techniques June 4th 07, 04:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 62
Posted By VeloJon
Compact Crank Ring Differential

According to Cyclingnews, several Giro riders were running 52/34 chain
rings for the big climbs. I thought the conventional wisdom was that
a 16-tooth differential between the 2 rings was the max...
Forum: Techniques May 30th 07, 01:13 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By VeloJon
Octalink BB

On May 29, 5:56 pm, "Kurd" wrote:
"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message

Forum: Techniques May 29th 07, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By VeloJon
Octalink BB

On May 29, 4:47 pm, lwedge lwedge.2rd...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
VeloJon Wrote: I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano...
Forum: Techniques May 29th 07, 09:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By VeloJon
Octalink BB

I need a new BB, Octalink V1 68x118, and there doesn't seem to be any
options except Shimano (105 and DA level only, no Ultegra at this
point). I have surfed high and low for a BB-6500 BB in that...
Forum: Racing March 15th 07, 12:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 31
Posted By VeloJon
Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

On Mar 13, 3:15 pm, MagillaGorilla wrote:
Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:47:51 -0400, MagillaGorilla
wrote:

All that...
Forum: Techniques March 2nd 07, 04:29 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By VeloJon
Headset removal

I'm trying to remove a threaded headset from an 25-year-old Shogun
600. There is a round three-notch 1-inch-diameter lockring that is
well and truly frozen. Any thoughts on removing this thing?
Forum: Techniques February 16th 07, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By VeloJon
Removing a Sakae Crank

I need to remove an mid-80's Sakae crank off an old Shogun 600. The
crank bolts have a large horizontal slot with diamond-shaped hole.
Since my meager wrenching skills only date back to the...
Forum: Techniques February 3rd 07, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By VeloJon
Ultegra 9-speed shifters

I'm looking for some used Ultegra 9-speed shifters on eBay that are
triple ring compatible. What is the difference between the ST6500 and
ST6510 sets? The tech info on the 9-speed stuff is no...
Forum: Racing January 19th 07, 03:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 18
Posted By VeloJon
Pereiro positive!?!

So Kloden wins! We knew it all along! He never won a stage and might
never have been randomly tested during the whole race, so maybe he has
a chance of keeping the win...
Forum: Techniques January 4th 07, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By VeloJon
Tires and railroad tracks

I prefer doing a MTB-style bunny hop over any track whenever possible
to eliminate any tire/angle/traction questions when it comes to RRs.
Every set of tracks is different and some can be very nasty,...
Forum: Marketplace December 12th 06, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Replies: 8
Posted By VeloJon
Catlike Whisper

IMHO, the Catlike Whisper helmet is extremely cool with its lunar
landscape vent design. I know it doesn't meet the CPSC standard, but
I'm surprised they don't have a US distributor. The prices on...
Forum: Racing October 27th 06, 01:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 5
Posted By VeloJon
No TTT in the TDF yet again??

steephill wrote:
I thought the TTT was great to watch and very suspenseful, but it
eliminated too many good riders on mediocre team to bad teams from the
GC contention. If you think cycling is...
Forum: Racing October 26th 06, 01:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 5
Posted By VeloJon
No TTT in the TDF yet again??

Has the Team time Trial disappeared for good? Conspriracy theories on
its omission?
Forum: Racing October 19th 06, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 10
Posted By VeloJon
Why we hate Discovery...

1) The American thing. OK, it's just a few of the riders and the
sponsors, but that's as US as it gets in the Pro tour.
2) The LANCE thing
3) The Bruyneel sleeze factor
4) The emergence of a...
Forum: Racing October 18th 06, 01:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 10
Posted By VeloJon
Thinking pink^Wmagenta ( Flandis - If and If and If...)

So Basso is now in play, officially not going back to CSC, let the
musical chairs begin:

"PARIS, Oct 18, 2006 (AFP) - Danish cycling team CSC has parted
ways with top Italian rider Ivan Basso, who...
Forum: Racing October 16th 06, 02:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 10
Posted By VeloJon
Flandis - If and If and If...

Just to fantasize a little, What if Floyd 1) miraculously and
definitively gets cleared by USADA and any future CAS hearings, 2)
fully recovers from his hip operation and returns to form, and 3)...
Forum: Techniques September 14th 06, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By VeloJon
Cassette protector?

On road bikes, what is the name of that clear plastic disk they put
between the cassette and the spokes of the rear wheel? What does this
do and is it critical? Is it just to keep the chain out of...
Forum: Racing September 12th 06, 07:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 59
Posted By VeloJon
Andreu says he and Lance doped: EPO,cortisone, tesosterone.....

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Vaughters is the obvious guess.

We're making an assumption it's someone in management? What about
Vandevelde?

Or even Big George?
Forum: Techniques August 4th 06, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By VeloJon
Wheelset advice

I am an avid recreational roadie who rides in a hilly area looking for
a durable & light wheelset in the $300-400 range. After reading many
reviews and posts, I am looking at:
1) Neuvation M 28...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 27