Showing results 1 to 25 of 32
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Emanuel Berg[_3_]
Forum: Techniques December 28th 18, 09:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 3
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
unacceptable behavior on RBT

My behavior on this group was unacceptable, it
was my old winter madness getting the better of
me once again. I'm not getting into any more
discussions (because I don't know if I'm
100% sane even...
Forum: Techniques December 16th 18, 04:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

FYI I've had it with this newsgroup. For once,
let me come with a couple of insults.
Mine aren't as, eh, "subtle" as yours.
Ralph Barone, Frank Krygowski, and
John B Slocom, you are all a bunch of...
Forum: Techniques December 16th 18, 04:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm not trying to be snobbish. If you ask
questions properly, we can answer them.

Example: You asked "Swept area, should that
be big or small for the brake to be
Forum: Techniques December 16th 18, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

John B. Slocomb wrote:

That is a silly answer. The fact that you
spent more then six years at a school doesn't
mean that you know everything. In fact that
is quite evident in your questions...
Forum: Techniques December 16th 18, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

Ralph Barone wrote:

Frank continues to tell you to read a book
because many of us don't answer your
questions because due to your use of
non-standard language, we can't understand
your...
Forum: Techniques December 16th 18, 03:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

Ralph Barone wrote:

I thought that the phrase RTFM came from the
computer culture, and not bike culture.
But seriously, if you went on an emacs group
and said "I'm having trouble trying to...
Forum: Techniques December 16th 18, 03:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Actually answering questions is rather
difficult when the recipient has insufficient
knowledge to understand the answer.

That's what I said. Instead of answering...
Forum: Techniques December 16th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

John B. Slocomb wrote:

CF might indicate Carbon Fiber but I believe
in this case it probably means Coefficient of
Friction :-)

Thanks, I tried to google it but as one would
expect everything...
Forum: Techniques December 15th 18, 11:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

AMuzi wrote:

Blah blah blah, you have told me this at
least a dozen times by now. Probably because
it is easier to be didactic/demeaning than
to actually answer the questions.

Forum: Techniques December 15th 18, 10:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Emanuel, with all due respect, you should
spend the winter reading a physics book or
two. Or three. Skip the parts on electricity,
atomic physics, etc. Concentrate on...
Forum: Techniques December 15th 18, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

AMuzi wrote:

For braking, pad size is a minor factor.
It's all swept area, CF and leverage.
You're right that linkage is efficient but
the leverage is minimal and rubber on chromed
steel...
Forum: Techniques December 12th 18, 10:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

Theodore Heise wrote:

It makes complete sense to me, for the
reasons Frank gave. Recently I had the same
problem, my rear derailer would not shift to
the smaller cogs without some help...
Forum: Techniques December 12th 18, 06:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 138
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting, again

Maybe you remember my problem with the smaller
sprockets being unreachable. After degreasing
and lubing the whole thing it got better, but
then the problem returned and now worse than
ever. Because...
Forum: Techniques November 26th 18, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
understanding the RockShox suspension pump and valve

Gregory Sutter wrote:

I have the same pump. It's a common one,
resold under many brand names, probably
because it's inexpensive and works well.

Possibilities:

- loss of a small amount...
Forum: Techniques November 25th 18, 09:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
my mental health + lubing chain without degreasing the cassette?

Today I thought I lube the chain but the
bio-degreaser from ZĂ©fal was frozen!
So I couldn't spray any on the cassette
or chain.

I suppose, if that happens, you shouldn't lube
the chain?

BTW I'm...
Forum: Techniques November 24th 18, 12:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
relation between saddle height and horizontal position

John B Slocomb wrote:

Sorry I can't cite. The other poster called
me Mr. Berg so I thought I do that as well
as a joke. But without the citation, and you
probably forgot his post, maybe...
Forum: Techniques November 14th 18, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
cleaning the bike

The commune is setting up a bike maintenance
station. There are no tools so far, or perhaps
because it is open 24/7 so if there were they
would disappear. But there is a strong light (to
examine the...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 18, 09:29 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
relation between saddle height and horizontal position

Duane wrote:

https://www.ilovebicycling.com/fore-aft-saddle-position/

This seems straightforward:

The Knee Over Pedal Spindle Method

The generally accepted way to find the
proper...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 18, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
relation between saddle height and horizontal position

wrote:

I think you are making up things to
worry about.

Ha! I'm enjoying myself! This is half the fun
with these modern bikes. It is like the ham
radio guys of old...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 18, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
understanding the RockShox suspension pump and valve

When I first got the pump, I filled the chamber
to exactly 120psi. The release button and the
gauge on the RockShox suspension pump makes
this easy to do to a high degree of precision.

The other day...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 18, 08:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting

Sir Ridesalot wrote:

But he said that turning the adjuster barrel
in (clockwise) cure his problem. Thus he does
not have a sticking cable. He wants to know
why the cable suddenly got tighter...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 18, 08:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
relation between saddle height and horizontal position

If you radically increase the height of the
saddle, does it typically make sense to move
the saddle a bit forward as well? This is my
intuition but I have been wrong before.

--
underground experts...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 18, 08:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

lou.holtman wrote:

Your inner cable gets stuck somewhere.
Easy to investigate problem. Just look.
Remove the cable from the RD and shift while
tension the cable by hand.
Ignore lube...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 18, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting

OK, so if IIUC, oil (a light coating) on the
cassette/chainrings and on the outside of the
chain does not facilitate shifting nor the
entry/exit of the links onto/out of...
Forum: Techniques November 3rd 18, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Emanuel Berg[_3_]
casette shifting

After riding this bike a couple of weeks with
no problem, shifting out, to smaller sprockets
on the casette have started to trouble,
sometimes nothing happens when I click.
If I understand the theory...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 32