Showing results 1 to 25 of 450
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Wes Groleau
Forum: Techniques November 26th 13, 01:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Wes Groleau
IN HONEST STATISTICS (NOT THE KRYGOWSKI KIND), IS CYCLING SAFE — OR DANGEROUS?

On 11-25-2013, 11:32, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Death tolls tend to rise or fall with road use. When hard times and/or gas prices and/or demographic trends reduce the miles driven, fewer drivers and...
Forum: Techniques November 24th 13, 12:03 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Wes Groleau
The Force Strikes Back

On 11-23-2013, 14:53, Radey Shouman wrote:
Here's a guy being arrested for picking his children up from school,
without waiting in a line of cars. Unfortunately not quite on topic,
because he...
Forum: Techniques November 23rd 13, 07:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 161
Posted By Wes Groleau
Danger Danger!

On 11-22-2013, 20:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Again, this is routinely done in medical fields as well. "Women who use lipstick are twice as likely to get cancer of the lip!!!" might be a...
Forum: Techniques November 22nd 13, 05:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Wes Groleau
The Force Strikes Back

On 11-21-2013, 22:38, James wrote:
How he whined is neither here nor there. The policeman could possibly
have issued the man with a fine for swearing in public, but instead he
[the policeman]...
Forum: Techniques November 22nd 13, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-21-2013, 16:08, Duane wrote:
Of course. But doesn't the bike box allow you to do this? And doesn't
it tell the drivers that you're going to do this? I'm with Jay on this.
I don't...
Forum: Techniques November 22nd 13, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-21-2013, 14:15, Frank Krygowski wrote:
What has happened in at least some instances is this: A long vehicle (bus or truck, perhaps with a trailer) is stopped at an intersection, its driver...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 06:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-21-2013, 12:26, Joe Riel wrote:
The solution, which you won't like, is to do what Frank has said. Don't
sit in the bike lane at a light; move to the left. If cars are going to
turn...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-21-2013, 10:49, Dan O wrote:
The bike boxes do practically remove a hassle that I routinely
face. Sitting in the bike lane at a red light (can you believe
that I routinely face even...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 07:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Wes Groleau
Folding Bikes

John, you said it's a 35-foot catamaran that someone LIVES on. Not a
six footer for a sailing enthusiast who goes to a house when he's done
playing. And you said nothing about sails, jibs, masts,...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 05:51 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Wes Groleau
Folding Bikes

I should have said:
.... If the boat is 35 feet long (twelve meters),
it surely has room for a bicycle.

A SIX-meter Bantam has on each side, a space 2.5 meters long, 2.5
meters high, and...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 05:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 28
Posted By Wes Groleau
Folding Bikes

On 11-20-2013, 08:20, John B. wrote:
I have heard that some makes have a weakness in the steering but
nothing beyond that.

I can't imagine why the folding feature on any I've ever seen in person...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-20-2013, 14:08, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:08:25 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
The idea of the larger vehicle being at fault unless proven otherwise
would...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 04:37 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 11-20-2013, 06:08, Duane wrote:
The idea of the larger vehicle being at fault unless proven otherwise
would probably help but here it's innocent until proven guilty.

And no...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 04:36 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By Wes Groleau
On ear buds and hearing things in traffic

On 11-20-2013, 12:16, Dan O wrote:
More than that, hearing can give immensely useful subtle
information such as the driver's throttle control, braking,
etc. - behavior information which can be...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 04:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 22
Posted By Wes Groleau
Glasses and Rain

On 11-20-2013, 21:00, wrote:
try a baseball cap, yellow/day glo orange see WALMART hunting eg and yellow shooters clip on from Emigsville, Yorktowne Optical.

fluorescent colors...
Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 04:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 161
Posted By Wes Groleau
Danger Danger!

On 11-20-2013, 16:52, James wrote:
Someone from a global engineering company (AECOM) told me that a bike
facility isn't a bike facility unless it is suitable for 8 and 88
year olds.

Forum: Techniques November 21st 13, 04:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 161
Posted By Wes Groleau
Danger Danger!

On 11-20-2013, 16:52, James wrote:
Someone from a global engineering company (AECOM) told me that a bike
facility isn't a bike facility unless it is suitable for 8 and 88 year olds.

Well,...
Forum: Techniques November 19th 13, 08:10 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-17-2013, 13:23, Dan wrote: It's as you've said - it takes more
than some paint. Portland is
doing more than laying down paint. It's happening there. I know

Portland is one of the...
Forum: Techniques November 16th 13, 06:27 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-16-2013, 00:10, Joe Riel wrote:
The following silly video illustrates a toy bike turning
left from the bike box.

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportation/cycling_walking/bike-box.aspx

Forum: Techniques November 15th 13, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-14-2013, 20:26, Jay Beattie wrote:
see ORS 814.420(3)(e):

814.420 Failure to use bicycle lane or path; exceptions; [snip]
(c) Avoiding debris or other hazardous...
Forum: Techniques November 14th 13, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-13-2013, 07:02, John B. wrote:
how to carry a baby and so she took over management of the entire baby
care department.)

You sly dog, you.

--
Wes Groleau

“Brigham Young agrees to...
Forum: Techniques November 13th 13, 08:29 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Wes Groleau
"... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

On 11-12-2013, 14:57, Dan O wrote:
On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:45:30 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
... and while doing it, he's thinking "I'm an unusually perceptive guy, and I'm learning...
Forum: Techniques November 13th 13, 08:20 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-12-2013, 06:27, John B. wrote:
wrote:
On 11-11-2013, 20:53, John B. wrote:
Well, Darwin was correct and perhaps it would be a good thing.

But on a...
Forum: Techniques November 13th 13, 08:11 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-12-2013, 14:03, Dan O wrote:
Anyway, I've consistently said nothing wrong with education, and
that it's great for those whom it may do any good; but lack of
*formal* education is*not* ...
Forum: Techniques November 13th 13, 08:08 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 287
Posted By Wes Groleau
NY Times article - Cycling will kill you!

On 11-12-2013, 01:33, Stephen Bauman wrote:
4. the car that's in the process of double parking will not have his
flashers on.

You mean there are people in the Big Apple who don't have this...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 450