Showing results 1 to 25 of 103
Search took 1.88 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Barry[_3_]
Forum: Techniques December 11th 11, 03:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 247
Posted By Barry[_3_]
24-spoke wheels

The question is what you gonna do when this happens with a 24 spoke
wheel. Is it that bad to call a cab/home once or twice in 30 years?

I'm OK with that risk: once broke a back axle (on...
Forum: Techniques October 17th 11, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 51
Posted By Barry[_3_]
NEWS FROM HEBEVILLE

Maybe but you do see the difference between calling New Orleans "The Big
Easy" and this, don't you?

I guess I don't see a contraction of Hebrew as anything shameful, even
if it doesn't...
Forum: Techniques September 26th 11, 10:58 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 57
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Does this give me bragging rights?

A gift to civilization from the Ashtabula Bow Socket Company

I'll look for you in old Honolulu
San Francisco, Ashtabula
Forum: Techniques September 23rd 11, 10:51 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 142
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Sidewalks, bikes, & civil engineering

To address this issue, separating
traffic is ideal, and having clear rules for cyclists at intersections
is a must. In one of my recent projects in Boulder, CO-adjacent to US
HWY 36,...
Forum: Techniques September 15th 11, 07:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 76
Posted By Barry[_3_]
tube patch glues

YAGI (yet another great idea): Put the tube of rubber cement inside a
pressurized container. Some manner of PVC pipe with a bicycle valve
and possibly a pressure gauge. Pump up to some...
Forum: Techniques September 8th 11, 01:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 162
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Need 39t ring for old campy crank

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/frames/road

Wow: "As of June, 2011 the wait for a custom Vanilla is over five years."
Forum: Techniques August 25th 11, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 31
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Counsel on new rear derailler: Ultegra or Deore XT?

Any Shimano derailleur, road or mountain or hybrid, from XTR down to
Alivio or whatever the bottom end is, will work perfectly with 9 or 10
or 8 or 7 speed shifters.

I've read that the new...
Forum: Techniques August 20th 11, 10:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,ba.bicycles
Replies: 126
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Politics and Lids

Indeed I know horse owners who make about the same as I and live very
cheaply in order to support their animals (including one of my current
employees). If you think cyclists are obsessive...
Forum: Techniques August 19th 11, 02:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 179
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Three Dead in PDX: Helmet Haters Hammered

Average people, though, can ride huge distances or long years without even
minor injuries. The data's pretty clear. As in the pre-helmet 1970s, they'll
come to no harm without one.

Usually,...
Forum: General August 14th 11, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 495
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Dangerous? Study: 77 to 1 benefit to risk

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7joApY9dnw
Forum: General August 10th 11, 02:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 495
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Definitions

231. A bicycle is a device upon which any person may
ride, propelled exclusively by human power through a
belt, chain, or gears, and having one or more wheels.
Persons riding bicycles are...
Forum: Techniques August 5th 11, 10:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 253
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Helmet Debate In San Francisco on KGO this morning

Those who have not yet done so need to read up on the Free Range Kids
movement.

From their web site (right on the home page): "Free-Rangers believe in
helmets, car seats, seat belts - safety!"
Forum: Techniques July 17th 11, 05:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Cross shiftting

Sheldon Brown has a gear "visualizer", and there's another one called
"Gerz" that makes charting pretty easy.

This one is very nice:

http://www.gear-calculator.com
Forum: Racing July 8th 11, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 13
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Christopher Horner (USA) Team RadioShack

He took in the shorts today for 12 minutes and 41 seconds.

news reports differ. Some say 3 minutes down. Maybe he switched bikes
with a team mate.

LeTour.com shows Horner finishing dead...
Forum: Racing May 25th 11, 11:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 24
Posted By Barry[_3_]
believability list

Floyd- No
Tyler - No
Frankie Andreu - Yes (with some reservation)
Betsy Andreu - No
George Hincapie - Yes
Lance - No
Hans V - No
McQuaid - No
Lance's Attorney - No
Tyler's...
Forum: Recumbent Biking May 11th 11, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Replies: 187
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Should you wear a helmet while riding a recumbent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Simpson

"Tom Simpson (30 November 1937–13 July 1967) was the most successful
English road racing cyclist of the post-war years. He infamously died
of...
Forum: Techniques May 11th 11, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Replies: 213
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Should you wear a helmet while riding a recumbent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Simpson

"Tom Simpson (30 November 1937–13 July 1967) was the most successful
English road racing cyclist of the post-war years. He infamously died
of...
Forum: Techniques April 8th 11, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 77
Posted By Barry[_3_]
A different point of view

If God had meant us to run, he wouldn't have invented the bicycle.

Maybe it's OK for little people, but I look (and feel) like a train wreck
running -- not a pretty sight.

I saw Wilt...
Forum: Techniques April 6th 11, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Good and bad

No, they don't last as long. A Shimano 5600 10 speed is supposed to be
replaced after 2500km.

According to whom?
Forum: Techniques April 3rd 11, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Barry[_3_]
"Bike lanes increase safety"

This editorial was in yesterday's Philadelphia Inquirer:

http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/20110402_Inquirer_Editorial__Bike_lanes_increase_safety.html

http://tinyurl.com/3rx26ry

Now that...
Forum: Techniques March 28th 11, 07:47 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 207
Posted By Barry[_3_]
TRY THIS CHAIN LUBE

http://www.purpleextreme.com/

I have used this for years.

$15+ for four ounces...

But it "Protects From Wear Up To 400° F. and Down To -100° F"
Forum: Techniques March 28th 11, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 207
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Motor Oil As Chain Lube: Any Tricks?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

If you like Sheldon Brown, then you should use the ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain
Cleaning System:

http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html
Forum: Techniques February 27th 11, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 48
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Material That Can Take Some Sweat Without Smelling?

Just bought a purpose-made head rag that's made out of some sort
of fancy-looking nylon - as in http://tinyurl.com/49obfps

After only a couple hours riding time, this thing *stinks*....
Forum: Techniques February 21st 11, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 47
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Shaking off Cramps?

Incidentally, ingesting pickle juice or mustard got good reviews from
several people. I decided to keep one of those small plastic
envelopes of fast food mustard in my bike bag, just in...
Forum: Techniques February 4th 11, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Barry[_3_]
Wheel build

32 front/36 rear is a reasonable and balanced
configuration for a full-sized adult rider.

What would you consider appropriate for an "undersized" adult rider of 150
pounds?
Showing results 1 to 25 of 103