Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 2.80 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Art Harris
Forum: General November 16th 12, 06:15 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 14
Posted By Art Harris
bicycle seat that won't hurt my bottom

Bill Proms wrote:
I've been cycling off and on for nearly a year. When I started, I'd ride

about 8 miles and didn't have much, if any, of my bottom hurting. Now that

I'm doubling the...
Forum: Techniques October 26th 12, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 110
Posted By Art Harris
helmet

Duane Hébert wrote:
Didn't know that he died. Sorry to hear that.

He didn't.

See:

http://rayhosler.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/alps-memories-as-fresh-as-newly-fallen-snow/
Forum: Techniques August 4th 12, 04:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 15
Posted By Art Harris
Road Pedal Question

OccasionalFlyer wrote:
I've decided it's time for a new pair of pedals. I put 22-year old
Look pedals I don't use normally anymore on a basically new bike (I
don't care what rationale they...
Forum: Techniques July 25th 12, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 122
Posted By Art Harris
Inner tube recommendation

On Friday, July 20, 2012 4:40:21 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
yo Art,

tubes bought are double thick butyl ?

wanna report back if 2x butyl resolves the problem ?

tubes are prob IRC...
Forum: Techniques July 24th 12, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 122
Posted By Art Harris
Inner tube recommendation

SMS wrote:

I.e. Pricepoint offers 18-25 and 28-35 only, and neither is ideal, while
Kenda offers 18-23, 20-25, 23-25, 23-28, 28-32, 35-43.

23-28 would be perfect for me, but I haven't...
Forum: Techniques July 20th 12, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 122
Posted By Art Harris
Inner tube recommendation

On Jul 20, 2:41*am, SMS wrote:
One thing that I've found is that for my 700C x 28 tires, it's best to
find a vendor that offers a wider selection of sizes, with a...
Forum: Techniques July 19th 12, 10:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 122
Posted By Art Harris
Inner tube recommendation

On Jul 19, 4:29*pm, landotter wrote:
On Jul 19, 1:36*pm, Art Harris wrote:

I need to buy some inner tubes. Recent online reviews seem to pan
Forum: Techniques July 19th 12, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 122
Posted By Art Harris
Inner tube recommendation

On Jul 19, 4:27*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:

If flat protection is the goal, it seems as if the tube is probably
the last place to focus, other than using a sealant like Slime...
Forum: Techniques July 19th 12, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 122
Posted By Art Harris
Inner tube recommendation

I need to buy some inner tubes. Recent online reviews seem to pan
Nashbar/Performance, and even Conti.

I ride 700c x 25 tires and am mostly interested in reliability, and
flat protection, not extra...
Forum: Techniques May 3rd 12, 03:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 47
Posted By Art Harris
Replacements for Avocet Fasgrips

Greg Berchin wrote:
Looking for new tires for my vintage Paramount. Last set was Avocet Fasgrip;
700x25 front and 700x28 rear (bike plus rider exceeds 250 lbs). Can't find
Avocet tires anywhere...
Forum: Techniques April 25th 12, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Art Harris
Ritchey rims and tight tires?

Scott Gordo wrote:

For research purposes, anybody know of a brand of wheels/rims/tires
with a reputation for being on the larger side of spec?

Yes, I have a pair of Torelli Master rims from...
Forum: Techniques January 20th 12, 03:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 19
Posted By Art Harris
Big, light saddle?

On Jan 6, 8:59*pm, Chalo wrote:

Is anybody here aware of a large yet light saddle that can be bought
today? *I seek a saddle with the construction and characteristics...
Forum: Techniques June 6th 11, 06:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 83
Posted By Art Harris
Jobst

Carl Fogel wrote:

" . . . this last Monday he went to his brother Klaus' place for a big
family BBQ, and was away from home and outside and interacting with
other people for the longest time...
Forum: Techniques May 9th 11, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Art Harris
Wheels - Mavic Open Pro vs DT Swiss R1800

Chalo wrote:

The only Sun rims I have had quality-related problems with haver been
polished Sun M13II rims in 700c and 32h drilling. *For the past couple
of years they have had bad joints...
Forum: Techniques May 5th 11, 12:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Art Harris
Mad Fiber Road Wheels

Jay Beattie wrote:
They are really good at slicing squirrels. BTW, Leonard likes them.http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/09/interbike/interbike-tech-mad-f...

Ric and his brother had the...
Forum: Techniques May 4th 11, 01:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Art Harris
Mad Fiber Road Wheels

Would you ride on these wheels?

See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9pjSP97PNc

Art Harris
Forum: Mountain Biking April 27th 11, 12:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.mountain-bike
Replies: 14
Posted By Art Harris
Update on Jim McNamara

"Edward Dolan wrote:
Some of you have had occasion over the years to do combat with Jim McNamara
of these cycling newsgroups. Here is an update on his situation which may
interest you.

Forum: Techniques April 20th 11, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 53
Posted By Art Harris
front brake mantra should be taken with salt

Duane Hebert wrote:

The rear brake contributes nothing on clean dry pavement. *But if you
hit gravel or something slippery the rear brakes works. *You can't
always tell that you're going to...
Forum: Techniques April 20th 11, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 53
Posted By Art Harris
front brake mantra should be taken with salt

Duane Hebert wrote:
For road bikes I was always taught to use both brakes and shift weight
back over the rear wheel to prevent flips. *In fact, just went through
the training for new club...
Forum: Techniques April 20th 11, 02:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 53
Posted By Art Harris
front brake mantra should be taken with salt

Art Harris wrote:

The official mantra states, "On a clean, dry road the front brake
cannot skid."

Oops, make that, "On a clean, dry road the front TIRE cannot skid."

Art Harris
Forum: Techniques April 20th 11, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 53
Posted By Art Harris
front brake mantra should be taken with salt

landotter wrote:
I'm a front braker. I wear out front pads more often than the rear.

But this evening I tried to mod my downhill speed *on *a gravel strewn
road with the front brake, and...
Forum: Techniques April 11th 11, 01:46 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Art Harris
Ultegra/Dura-Ace

On Apr 11, 7:45*am, Chris Taylor wrote:
On 11/04/11 21:35, Art Harris wrote:

Chris Taylor wrote:
has anyone tried to place a ultegra 9 speed cassette on a Dura-Ace...
Forum: Techniques April 11th 11, 12:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Art Harris
Ultegra/Dura-Ace

Chris Taylor wrote:
has anyone tried to place a ultegra 9 speed cassette on a Dura-Ace hub
I'm looking to have a wheel build done when I decide who is going to do
the build!
I would like to...
Forum: Techniques February 25th 11, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Art Harris
Spoke length calculations

Mark Cleary wrote:
Ok so now that I manage my first wheel build using the spoke lengths that
Andrew sent and now I have been going over spoke calculators. It seems that
they vary in the spoke...
Forum: Techniques February 22nd 11, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Art Harris
SPRING ARRIVES !

kolldata wrote:
GOOD NEWS ! trees are greening at Los Fresnos.

65F and sunny last Friday; 15F and 3" of snow yesterday here on Long
Island.

Art Harris
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500