Showing results 1 to 25 of 73
Search took 0.27 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jeff[_6_]
Forum: UK April 5th 09, 09:31 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 28
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Building your own bike

Brown Cat wrote:
I was thinking of getting a new bike and rather than buy a new one I was
thinking about just buying all the parts and putting it together myself.
This would help me learn how...
Forum: General March 30th 09, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 53
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
You Still Don't Want to Wear a Helmet??

Dien Cai Dau wrote:
Natasha Richardson, a Tony Award-winning actress whose career melded
glamorous celebrity with the bloodline of theater royalty, died Wednesday at
Lenox Hill Hospital in...
Forum: UK March 20th 09, 11:07 PM Posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 239
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Cyclists going through red traffic lights

Iain wrote:
I have just walked back from the shops.

As I was going, I came to the traffic lights just by Willesden bus garage.
Two sets were red. From each of these sets, a cyclist went...
Forum: UK February 21st 09, 11:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 43
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
This group has lost its way.

Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:14:46 GMT
"Trevor A Panther" wrote:

I unsubscribed from here over a week ago.

People don't 'subscribe' to Usenet...
Forum: UK February 18th 09, 12:28 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 20
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Why do more women get killed than men?

Doug wrote:
I just came across this and wonder if anyone knows more.

"The share of men cyclists who get killed in London by HGVs is
disproportionately high, too---just not as high as for...
Forum: General February 15th 09, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 12
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
More Than 1 in 10 People Cycle in Some Vancouver Neighborhoods

What's Toronto liBrian Huntley wrote:
On Feb 14, 11:50 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
http://www.francesbula.com/?p=1117

Life is pretty good here.

It's not...
Forum: UK February 10th 09, 12:23 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Ben Goldacre's "Bad Science" covers LV's "increase" in cyclingaccidents

terryj wrote:
Alan Braggins wrote:
http://www.badscience.net/2009/02/867/
'Here for example is the insurance company LV, who have managed to get
their important road safety data analysis...
Forum: UK February 4th 09, 12:15 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 34
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Are you a real cyclist?

Tom Crispin wrote:
www.bike99.com/realcyclist.html

I scored a genuine 79 points.
Interesting survey, but I'm not certain I'd agree with all of their
criteria.

Critical Mass is not held in...
Forum: UK February 4th 09, 12:12 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
frozen gear-shifters

What we do here in Canada is to change the lubricant on all the
lubricated parts to something with a lower viscosity (or, if you like, a
lower freezing point) for the winter. Here in Winnipeg,...
Forum: UK January 21st 09, 12:35 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 2
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Multi-purpose bicycle log

Saw an interesting bicycle lock yesterday while hunting for lunch - a
pair of handcuffs.

The chain between the two cuffs didn't look particularly strong.

Anyone else seen similar (or similarly...
Forum: General January 10th 09, 12:19 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 14
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
The wind kicked my butt today

wrote:
On Jan 9, 3:28 pm, "brink" wrote:
Biked from Moreno Valley, CA up to Colton, CA -- via Riverside and Grand
Terrace -- and the wind was as...
Forum: UK January 10th 09, 12:16 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 19
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Pannier pondering

Daniel Barlow wrote:
kimble writes:

I opt for the left pannier by default, as that's the side I prefer to
mount and wheel the bike from - makes for...
Forum: UK January 4th 09, 05:08 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 42
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
cycling in icy conditions

Having grown up in Canada (and having learned to drive there), my
comments about winter driving apply to winter cycling: GENTLY.

Nothing will reduce your traction like a sudden action of any sort....
Forum: General December 14th 08, 04:52 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 52
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Nearly got into an accident

PatTX wrote:
So, there I was, riding straight down the street on the right side about 2
feet from the curb, when a driver passed me and then immediately turned
right! It was one of those...
Forum: UK November 30th 08, 03:22 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 42
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Me and my arm ( and my biking)

Simon Mason wrote:

"Trevor A Panther" wrote in message

My apologies to any who think this is...
Forum: General November 13th 08, 02:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 9
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
No More Mr. Nice Guy

Peter H wrote:
I ride straight through 1/2 dozen or more busy 4 or 6 lane
intersections on my commute. I don't have much problem with the
intersections where I turn, but when I'm traveling...
Forum: UK November 3rd 08, 09:13 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
[OT] Motorist drives through brick wall.

Martin wrote:

Dramatic pictures of Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson deliberately smashing a truck into a wall have been released.

Forum: General September 26th 08, 02:08 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Good driver report

dgk wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:20:40 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff writes:
We often...
Forum: General September 23rd 08, 11:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Good driver report

We often hear of bad drivers, so I thought I'd relate a positive experience.

Last night, it rained heavily, leaving large puddles along my route to
work. About half-way to work, I noted a very...
Forum: General August 29th 08, 02:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 8
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Bicycle-Deer Collision

Steve McDonald wrote:
The brother-in-law of a friend had his femur broken in 3 places last
night, when he collided with a deer when going about 30 mph on a
downhill road. It's a reminder that...
Forum: General August 23rd 08, 01:11 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles
Replies: 83
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
3ft passing requirement revisited

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
I've wondered whether cyclists really need a law that requires cars to pass
us no closer than 3 feet. I generally don't have too many issues out on the
road, and it...
Forum: UK August 20th 08, 02:36 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 82
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
What else do I need

Tom Crispin wrote:
Early Thursday morning I'm off on a ten day tour of the Rivers Mosel
and Rhine. Here's my packing list so far.

Rack pack
Tent
Sleeping mat
R. Pannier
Forum: General August 13th 08, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 0
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
For your amusement (inspired by Monday's commute home)

To the tune of "Home on the Range":

Ridin' home in the rain
Gettin' soaked 'cuz I forgot my rain gear
Gettin' wet is no fun
But I'll tell everyone
It's still better than driving a car.
Forum: UK August 3rd 08, 08:22 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
Airbags to protect cyclists!

Am I the only person who, on reading the subject, thought it referred to
the folks who want to force cyclists to:
- ride only on cycle paths
- wear hi-vis clothes
- etc

for their own safety?
Forum: General August 1st 08, 01:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 23
Posted By Jeff[_6_]
cell phones on rides

recycled wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote in message

I don't know what you're concerned about -- courtesy or safety.

Courtesy....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 73