Showing results 1 to 25 of 231
Search took 0.41 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Forum: Techniques January 10th 10, 08:43 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Rim Butt Weld: Smoothing?

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote: (clip) I am tempted to try to smooth it out with a
Dremel tool or
sandpaper or something.

Are there any gotchas around doing this? (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Using a...
Forum: General December 31st 09, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 6
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Survive Anything! | This Just In

"Ablang" wrote in message
December 17th, 2009
Survive Anything!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can't believe no one...
Forum: Techniques December 29th 09, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Bike cops sneak up on non-handicapped

"tonski" wrote: (clip) We can argue semantics all day long.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not with you--it's pointless.
Forum: Techniques December 28th 09, 09:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Bike cops sneak up on non-handicapped

"Chalo" wrote: (clip) First come, first served is equality. Every man for
himself is
equality. You snooze, you lose is equality. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You have chosen to define equality in a...
Forum: Techniques December 28th 09, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 23
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Bike cops sneak up on non-handicapped

"DougC" wrote: Denying them their designated parking spaces?
What a ****ing idiot.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's right. It's really stupid to be handicapped.
Forum: Techniques December 26th 09, 06:33 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Rohloff Hub: Plate Screws Seizing Up?

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote: Dumb that one down for me.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Let's see whether I can help. Martin Riddle wrote: "Hydraulic lock, or
your missing washers."

By "hydraulic lock," I think...
Forum: Techniques December 25th 09, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Rohloff Hub: Plate Screws Seizing Up?

"Martin Riddle" wrote: (clip) Kneejerk is to chase the treads with a bottom
tap... but then I'd
have to know where the debris from the bottom tap will wind up.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think that's...
Forum: Techniques December 9th 09, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 59
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
reduction of air drag with shortie mudguards?

"Bernhard Agthe" wrote: (clip) At lower speeds, I'd say that the aerodynamic
benefits and problems
roughly outweigh each other (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So you alternately get more drag and...
Forum: Techniques December 8th 09, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 59
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
reduction of air drag with shortie mudguards?

"Andre Jute" wrote:
(clip)2. Any length of smooth steady surface fitting closely over the tyre
must be an aerodynamic improvement as replacing turbulence with
laminar flow....
Forum: General December 3rd 09, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 13
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Bike racks

"Frank Krygowski" wrote (clip) Do hitch racks exist that still allow
towing? If so, the tongue weight limitations would be worrisome. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A typical hitch rack plugs into a...
Forum: General December 2nd 09, 04:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 13
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Bike racks

wrote: I once went on a Scout camp, and allowed my
bike to be transported on
a very large, homemade hitch rack. It had room for ten bikes (no
kidding!), and performed...
Forum: General December 1st 09, 11:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 13
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Bike racks

"SMS" wrote: (clip) If the car is hit from behind, even a light hit, with
the rack on, the bumper does nothing and the impact is transferred through
the rack to the hitch to the mounting...
Forum: General December 1st 09, 01:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 13
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Bike racks

"SMS" wrote: (clip) You have to watch out for the tongue weight, but a 2
bike hitch rack on
a 1.25" receiver is no problem, and as long as you're under 150 pounds
total weight then it's...
Forum: General November 16th 09, 09:59 PM Posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Am I blowing things out of proportion... or this is Bike Hell?

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
Paul O wro
Bill Sornson wrote, On 11/16/2009 11:35 AM:

One of MY pet peeves is not quoting pertinent...
Forum: General November 16th 09, 05:18 AM Posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Am I blowing things out of proportion... or this is Bike Hell?

"Jobst Brandt" wrote: "For WHO the bell tolls!" as Ernest would say.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of my pet peeves is the failure to use the subjunctive. But a bigger
peeve is the assertion that this...
Forum: Techniques November 2nd 09, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 72
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Rebuilding derailleurs

Dear Zeppo: If I understand you correctly, you get a lot of satisfaction
from making something work, in spite of the fact that you may be earning
only 10 cents an hour for the effort. You cannot...
Forum: Techniques November 2nd 09, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 72
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Rebuilding derailleurs

"thirty-six" wrote: (clip) despite your declaration "I can see the
cables pulling on them but they aren't moving". (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The statement in quotes tells a lot, and should...
Forum: General November 1st 09, 07:08 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 58
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Sacramento fixed-gear bikes: braking the law

"Norman" wrote: Mr. Flintstone, do you honestly expect the court to
accept that a hole cut in your floorboards is supposed
to be a conforming braking device? Do you take this
court for a fool, Mr....
Forum: Techniques October 28th 09, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 53
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
warning: possible heresy

"Nate Nagel" wote: (hey, they're 3W at 3V, right? So two of
them would use 3W at 6V, yes?)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Rong.
Forum: General October 21st 09, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 4
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
stripped thread

"Jobst Brandt" wrote: Not so easy as the clever name suggests. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There are good ones and not-so-good ones. The best setup I have ever tried
is made by Snap-on. If...
Forum: Techniques October 17th 09, 01:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 40
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
wheel rollout test?

"Mark Cleary" (clip) But I used math 25.4 times 82.25 inches.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you carry more significant figures in a calculation than you had in the
original data, you create a false...
Forum: Techniques October 15th 09, 03:31 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 11
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
A simple rule for social rides

"Andre Jute" wrote: (clip) If a woman, who cycles with you for the explicit
reason
that she doesn't like to be out on the roads alone, breaks her chain
unfixably, of course someone turns back with...
Forum: Techniques October 14th 09, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 11
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
A simple rule for social rides

"Andre Jute" wrote: (clip) If someone can't finish the ride and turns back,
either someone else
volunteers to ride back with him or we all turn back. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is not meant as...
Forum: Techniques October 8th 09, 02:49 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 38
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
skewers

"Nate Nagel" wrote: (clip) I guess if you follow the lever on the
left rule you still end up with the steel serrations on the nut end on the
drive side, which is where the chain tries to pull...
Forum: General October 7th 09, 12:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 3
Posted By Leo Lichtman[_2_]
Bike Thief Beatdown

"Bill Baka" wrote: (clip) They should have taken his drill. (clip)
If he still had the drill when the beating was over, it certainly was not in
his hands--maybe up his ass...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 231