Showing results 1 to 25 of 244
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Sheldon Brown
Forum: Techniques February 4th 08, 05:42 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 58
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Hub Gears: no need to scoffjaw the warranty

quoth Andre Jute
...Shimano specifically says the chainwheel/sprocket tooth
ration should be between 2.0 and 2.1.

I have never seen this spec for Nexus hubs. I suspect this is related
to the...
Forum: Techniques February 2nd 08, 04:32 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Wheels for an old Bianchi?

Quoth Dave Ornee:

Front spacing is 100 mm.
Rear may be 126 or 130 mm. *Check for sure.

Illustrated at: http://sheldonbrown.com/spacing

Steel Frame?
700C or 27" wheels?
There are some...
Forum: Techniques February 2nd 08, 12:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 46
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Internally Geared Shimano Hub + Shaft Drive = Carefree ChicagoWinter Bike Commute?

On Feb 1, 5:15 pm, "
wrote:
On Feb 1, 1:54 pm, wrote:

Chicago is pretty flat,...
Forum: Marketplace January 28th 08, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Replies: 2
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Can you identify make of this rim?

"JohnC" queried:
Can someone identify the make of this 27" alloy clincher rim. *There is
not much to go on.. * It was on a Lambert (early 70's). *Any ideas?

Forum: General January 16th 08, 11:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Bicycle Humour

On Jan 15, 3:07*pm, wrote:
I love cycling humour. *I found a great collection of it hehttp://bicyclesource.com/jokes

Anyone know any other good cycling jokes / stories...
Forum: General January 5th 08, 07:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 64
Posted By Sheldon Brown
OT--reflectors on wheelchairs

Quoth Frank Krygowski:

ISTM that expecting pedestrians, including *wheelchair-bound
pedestrians, to don flashing lights, reflective clothing, etc. is high
handed and presumptuous. *If you're...
Forum: Techniques January 3rd 08, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech, rec.bicycles.misc, uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 38
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Screensaver Images

Quoth Bill Sornson:

Besides, I highly doubt thatSheldonwas "offended" or insulted in the
least.

Au contraire! He was DEEPLY mortified. This is the worst thing that
has ever befallen him, and...
Forum: UK January 3rd 08, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech, rec.bicycles.misc, uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 37
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Screensaver Images

Quoth Bill Sornson:

Besides, I highly doubt thatSheldonwas "offended" or insulted in the
least.

Au contraire! He was DEEPLY mortified. This is the worst thing that
has ever befallen him, and...
Forum: General January 3rd 08, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech, rec.bicycles.misc, uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Screensaver Images

Quoth Bill Sornson:

Besides, I highly doubt thatSheldonwas "offended" or insulted in the
least.

Au contraire! He was DEEPLY mortified. This is the worst thing that
has ever befallen him, and...
Forum: General January 1st 08, 07:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 40
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Screensaver Images

Patrick Lamb asked:

wrote:
http://sheldonbrown.com/screensaver

Neato. *Is there a story behind some of these pictures? *For example,
where was the...
Forum: UK December 31st 07, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech, rec.bicycles.misc, uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 37
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Screensaver Images

It occurred to me that some other folks might like to use the bicycle
images from my screensaver, so I've prepared a collection of 127
images, all 1024 x 768 pixels, horizontal orientation that...
Forum: Techniques December 31st 07, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech, rec.bicycles.misc, uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 38
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Screensaver Images

It occurred to me that some other folks might like to use the bicycle
images from my screensaver, so I've prepared a collection of 127
images, all 1024 x 768 pixels, horizontal orientation that...
Forum: General December 31st 07, 02:09 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech, rec.bicycles.misc, uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 40
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Screensaver Images

It occurred to me that some other folks might like to use the bicycle
images from my screensaver, so I've prepared a collection of 127
images, all 1024 x 768 pixels, horizontal orientation that...
Forum: General December 29th 07, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Replies: 10
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Marin joins the unusable Flash based website club

Quoth landotter:

Another reason to appreciate 'oleSheldon. His website is so 90s in
the best sense of the phrase.

Flash can be fantastic--the youtube revolution proved this, but even
Forum: Techniques December 27th 07, 11:35 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon Brown's Dynohub page woefully out of date! (for shame!)

wrote:

I think the word "Dynohub" is a Sturmey-Archer trademark, so whenSheldon Brownwrites about Dynohubs he means only S-A hubs, not
Shimano og Schmidt dynamo hubs which he...
Forum: Techniques December 23rd 07, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 1
Posted By Sheldon Brown
can I use the new Ultegra shifters on a 9 speed hub?

Quoth Michael Johnson:

Alternatively,Sheldon Brownhas a paragraph and photo on one of his web
pages about an alternate cable clamping on the rear derailleur that
effectively changes the...
Forum: Techniques December 22nd 07, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 54
Posted By Sheldon Brown
When do you know it's over?

Quoth Chalo Colina:

Unless there are balance issues to contend with, it seems to me that a
bike with a very low step-through would be as good or better than a
trike without one.

Tom...
Forum: Techniques December 16th 07, 06:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Scientific American trick riding 1894 and 1897

Quoth Paul Myron Hobson:

My Firefox (Mac):
The image loads resized to the width of the window. Placing the cursor
over image, the cursor changes to a magnifying glass with a plus sign in
Forum: Techniques December 15th 07, 10:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Scientific American trick riding 1894 and 1897

Dear Carl,

You have been coming up with wonderful stuff from old Scientific
Americans and the like, but the images you link to are so small as to
make the text basically illegible.

You're using...
Forum: Techniques December 13th 07, 08:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Gear range designation

Ryan Cousineau a écrit:

If the NuVinci catches on, cyclists will start to think of their gearing
in terms of ratio of the lowest to highest gears (ie, 305% gearing
indicating that the top gear...
Forum: Techniques December 12th 07, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Sheldon "I ain't dead yet" Brown appreciation thread!

Quoth landotter:

Come on'Sheldon, you say the disease is just waist down--so your
noggin is good, what kind of cool new crazy ya got going on now??

Well, I upgraded the tires to Scorcher...
Forum: Techniques December 11th 07, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 4
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Top swing derailleurs do not belong on hybrid/city bikes (Yarr!)

Quoth landotter:

Hey manufacturers, if you're reading this--one shouldn't have to do
any "mods" to mount fenders, racks, or kickstand on your supposed
"utility" models! That's bad design on...
Forum: Techniques December 11th 07, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Sheldon Brown
BB spindle slightly too short

wrote:

I bought a BB with a 110mm spindle (square taper) and a new-old-stock
Shimano FC-M510 crankset. According to the Shimano's specs, this
should give a 47.5mm...
Forum: Techniques December 10th 07, 04:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Odd spokes

Quoth Carl Fogel:

Dear Joseph,

By coincidence,Sheldon just lamented the getting-started problem that
the mounting peg solved:

Yes, this was actually a bit of an atavism even when...
Forum: General December 9th 07, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc, alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent, rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 47
Posted By Sheldon Brown
Tour De Cure ride

Quoth Edward Dolan the Great:

I am not much in favor of these fund raising type of bike rides. Unless you
are good at hitting up your friends and neighbors, they tend to be quite
expensive....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 244