Showing results 1 to 21 of 21
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Claus Aßmann
Forum: Techniques December 30th 19, 06:57 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Claus Aßmann
A nice safe cycle path in the park

wrote:
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 6:17:02 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, 28 December 2019 20:19:49 UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/....

Yet another...
Forum: Techniques December 28th 19, 06:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Claus Aßmann
technical question: video for indoor training

Ted Heise wrote:

I'm looking for input on video options for an indoor trainer.

Did you have a look at
a href="https://www.dcrainmaker.com/"DC Rainmaker/a
already?

There are some good...
Forum: Techniques December 23rd 19, 06:46 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 110
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Self Driving Vehicles

Tom Kunich wrote:
I was saying that I didn't think that self driving vehicles would work.

Are you talking about self-driving bicycles
or why are you posting this here?

[since it is off-topic...
Forum: Techniques October 19th 19, 02:30 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 39
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Ebikes on performance rides?

Just say NO.

Those "ebikers" can ride with others who also have motor bikes...

PS: one local club clearly states that in their guidelines:

However, this is a skills and workout ride with close...
Forum: Techniques August 14th 19, 04:22 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Recovery and Diet

Tom Kunich wrote:

That means that the lead rider is making about 426 watts and there is a rotation of only 8 riders so you don't
have that much time off of the front.

Let's assume there are...
Forum: Techniques August 13th 19, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Recovery and Diet

Tom Kunich wrote:

the most common power meters are built-in to cranks.
Aside from the fact that most only read directly from half a crank,

As long as the power meter isn't only in a single...
Forum: Techniques August 13th 19, 01:35 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Recovery and Diet

Tom Kunich wrote:

10K I have generated as much as 400 watts over that distance

So you can _average_ 400 W for 16 kilometers ("10K") (i.e., for
about 25 minutes)?
How did you measure that power...
Forum: Techniques August 12th 19, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 120
Posted By Claus Aßmann
400W (was: Recovery and Diet)

Lou wrote:
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 10:00:57 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:

Now if we are talking a scant 10K I have generated as much as 400 watts over that distance [[...]]

Again Tom...
Forum: Techniques March 6th 19, 01:23 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 135
Posted By Claus Aßmann
GPS (was: Wheel weight)

John B. Slocomb wrote:

I remember back when we lived on the boat the GPS would sometimes
measure the altitude at 10 feet which was about twice the height above

That's why even most GPS based...
Forum: Techniques November 27th 18, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Power Meter

Are you a Pro who can climb 12% at 15 mph?

Which professional cyclist can climb 12% at 24 km/h?
Do you mean for 1 minute?

That seems to require about 10 W/kg
Or maybe this calculator is wrong:...
Forum: Techniques November 26th 18, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Power Meter

Your riding position changes remarkably little if you are riding hard.

Ah, thanks for telling me. I guess I'm doing something wrong then,
as I'm riding in different positions when going uphill...
Forum: Techniques November 26th 18, 02:59 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 18
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Power Meter

If you know;

1. Frontal area
2. Aerodynamic drag factor

How do you "know" these two?
How do you determine when they are changing
due to a change of your position?

3. Grade
Forum: Techniques August 10th 18, 05:37 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 165
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Flat repair

Andy wrote:
I sanded the tube, applied the patch and clamped it in a vise for an hour.

It takes just a few seconds of _high_ pressure to bond (not sure
if "vulcanize" is the correct term?) and...
Forum: Techniques June 26th 17, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 82
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Another Case of those safe CF bikes

Then you should love your $10,000 carbon fiber bike.

Envious much?

How do you know what kind of bike(s) I have?
Maybe I have 4 steel bikes?
For example, a shopping bike, a rain bike,
a commuter,...
Forum: Techniques June 26th 17, 02:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 82
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Another Case of those safe CF bikes

Must have been your Saronni with Columbus MAX
tubing. Those forks are breaking every day.

Nope, it was a (quality) German brand (back "in the days" when there
were bicycle manufacturers in...
Forum: Techniques June 25th 17, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 82
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Another Case of those safe CF bikes

We know that anyone that rides a CF bike is more interested in saving a couple of lbs rather than his own safety
but then that is a problem that will solve itself.

Of course you are completely...
Forum: Techniques June 29th 16, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 443
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Progress on Germany's 200 mile long bicyclebahn

On 2016-06-29 08:36, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I've come across German guys who say "You Americans are crazy for
demanding sidepaths. Here's a photo of the horrible stuff they...
Forum: Techniques November 6th 15, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Carbon fiber saddles

John B. wrote:

Has anyone tried one of these as a saddle on a road bike, for longish
rides?

I have a "Smud Carbon Saddle".
As I strongly dislike thick padding (on a saddle and in bibs)
it...
Forum: Techniques November 4th 15, 07:38 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 413
Posted By Claus Aßmann
Chain Driven Dynamo

Doug Landau wrote:
On Wednesday, November 4, 2015 at 9:44:03 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:

Forum: Techniques January 10th 13, 05:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Claus Aßmann
What happened?

Guess how I know that this can happen?

After I hit a pothole my bike suddenly moved a lot slower -- because
the rear brake was rubbing the rim. It was a freshly installed
bike where I was still...
Forum: Techniques January 10th 13, 02:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Claus Aßmann
What happened?

Your hands were on the brake lever and it moved (because it wasn't
tightened well enough) when you hit the pothole (downwards on the
handlebar) thus pulling the brake cable forward - the brake...
Showing results 1 to 21 of 21