Replies: 46
Posted By Dylan Smith
Colour combinations for conspicuity

On 2009-04-03, Phil W Lee phil wrote:
Yes, the flashing must be regular (unfortunately).

Does it specify the period of regularity? After all, a varying flash
pattern that goes on long enough...
Forum: Rides April 1st 09, 02:30 PM Posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 48
Posted By Dylan Smith
I get 3 miles per banana, do you?

On 2009-03-25, wrote:
actual testing procedure without paying for it. I am highly skeptical
that a gasoline automobile motor could last 15 minutes on a dyno...
Forum: UK April 1st 09, 02:30 PM Posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 52

On 2009-03-25, wrote:
actual testing procedure without paying for it. I am highly skeptical
that a gasoline automobile motor could last 15 minutes on a dyno...
Forum: UK April 1st 09, 01:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 45
Posted By Dylan Smith
Free ride

On 2009-03-26, Roger Merriman wrote:
true but if your too close, and to be honest a yard does sound it, then
even a very poor braking vehicle can brake hard enought for...
Forum: UK February 20th 09, 04:29 PM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 58
Posted By Dylan Smith
On-the-spot points for careless driving.

On 2009-02-20, Toom Tabard wrote:
Similarly a careful driver making one mistake that just happens to be
observed by a a passing patrol would get a careless driving...
Forum: UK February 4th 09, 02:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 168
Posted By Dylan Smith
Tory MP in 4x4 fined for 'momentary lapse of concentration'

On 2009-02-04, Squashme wrote:
So it goes.

Road users need to get it into their heads to take extreme care when
pulling out of a junction or turning into side roads.
Last...
Forum: UK October 27th 08, 12:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 24
Posted By Dylan Smith
Almost Wiped Out

On 2008-10-26, AndyC wrote:
I also wonder though, whether drivers pass too close to try to intimidate or
force the cyclists to cycle at the edge of the road, but...
Forum: UK August 22nd 08, 04:14 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 11
Posted By Dylan Smith
Videoing rides

On 2008-08-22, Brian Robertson wrote:
Does anyone have any simple solutions to the problem of mounting a digi
camera to the front of a bike to video a ride?

Duct tape...
Forum: UK August 18th 08, 12:03 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 50
Posted By Dylan Smith
Slightly OT, going car free

On 2008-08-18, Daniel Barlow wrote:
JNugent writes:

Yes, but motor vehicles are a little bit more technically complicated
than putsch-bikes, aren't they?

Forum: UK August 15th 08, 04:53 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 50
Posted By Dylan Smith
Slightly OT, going car free

On 2008-08-15, Colin McKenzie wrote:
Martin wrote:
If you sorn it over winter, then you will need to periodically run the
engine, and drive it backwards and forwards...
Forum: UK August 8th 08, 01:20 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 227
Posted By Dylan Smith
Bizarre mitigation in Jason McIntyre verdict.

On 2008-08-08, judith wrote:
Could he stop in time if a vehicle crossed his path?

Do you drive slowly enough [0] that if a vehicle fails to give way, you can
always stop...
Forum: UK August 8th 08, 01:15 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2008-08-08, judith wrote:

I wonder if he was going to fast - was he "racing" - and that
explains why the vehicle crossed his path - the cyclist couldn't stop
in...
Forum: UK August 4th 08, 02:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 23
Posted By Dylan Smith
Compulsory Hi-Vis

On 2008-07-27, Terry Duckmanton wrote:
Not quite as earth shattering as the introduction of compulsory helmet
wearing in Spain, France will insist, from 1...
Forum: UK July 23rd 08, 02:49 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 33
Posted By Dylan Smith
Commuting to work and back...

On 2008-07-17, Paul Boyd wrote:
(I really, really must start cycling in again, but now it's 12-ish miles...)

I do 12.5 mi each way. Not every day (didn't ride today, woke up...
Forum: UK July 16th 08, 01:44 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 1
Posted By Dylan Smith
TdF .. minor spoiler.

On 2008-07-14, Paul - xxx wrote:
WAHAYAY !!!

Mark Cavendish, way to go that man, keep it up.

He's from here, too :-)

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Yes, the...

On 2008-07-10, burtthebike wrote:
Anyone have any comments? (apart from Judith, JNugent and Digi something or
any other trolls)

Good luck with that.

It's not...
Forum: UK June 30th 08, 01:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 66
Posted By Dylan Smith
Entertaining Letters in Local Rag

On 2008-06-29, Ekul Namsob wrote:
BTW: I would love to use public transport - but it needs to be far
cleaner, more pleasant, more frequent, more...
Forum: UK June 26th 08, 12:12 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 74
Posted By Dylan Smith
Interest in shopping by bike

On 2008-06-26, Mark wrote:
Since it takes two hours shopping by car I doubt it would be much
quicker to do it by bike.

Given that time is a premium - how much...
Forum: UK June 24th 08, 02:33 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 182
Posted By Dylan Smith
And make no mistake, cyclists are criminals.

On 2008-06-24, Martin wrote:

Letter in the local paper calls all cyclists terrorists and criminals.

Looks like a bit of an obvious troll to me.

--
From the sunny Isle...
Forum: UK June 24th 08, 02:27 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2008-06-24, Jim Ley wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 11:29:49 +0000 (UTC), Dylan Smith
wrote:
My round trip cycle commute is 25 hilly miles. On the...
Forum: UK June 24th 08, 12:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 2008-06-24, Tom Crispin wrote:
Cycling at a modest 11mph burns up about 50 kilo calories per mile.

A two finger Kit Kat contains 106 k cals.

Sure...
Forum: UK May 27th 08, 04:33 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 22
Posted By Dylan Smith
Flashing front light in daytime.

On 2008-05-23, wrote:
I regularly see cyclists with flashing rear lights in poor light (well
I did through the winter). They were wasting their...
Forum: UK May 8th 08, 04:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By Dylan Smith
Milestone

On 2008-05-07, Nigel Randell wrote:
This evening's ride brings up 1000 miles for the year so far. I know that
it's small beer compared with the mileage put in by some of...
Forum: UK February 28th 08, 02:58 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 36
Posted By Dylan Smith
Chased by a scary dog

On 2008-02-28, Mike J wrote:
I was cycling on a shared cycle path in a park at 8pm last night. I had
a hi-vis jacket and proper lights on when from nowhere a very scary dog
Forum: UK February 22nd 08, 05:22 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 110
Posted By Dylan Smith
Incident and police response

On 2008-02-22, Rog wrote: