Showing results 1 to 25 of 44
Search took 3.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: archierob
Forum: UK February 5th 08, 03:19 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 69
Posted By archierob
Have you ever been fined or stopped for pavement cycling?

Its cold, its dark, you are coming home from work on your bike and
have to ride across a long 3 mile common that is flat land, it is a
two lane highway that is used and abused by boy racers showing...
Forum: UK January 31st 08, 12:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 104
Posted By archierob
Knocked down by an elderly driver

This could almost be a question from the radio show examining moral
dilemmas.

On the one hand you don't want to deprive her of her independence but
on the other hand how would you feel if the...
Forum: UK January 8th 08, 12:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 72
Posted By archierob
[OT] Road Rage

The main thrust of the programme was:

'so little road - so many users'

The old predictables resurfaced as they always do: I pay road fund
licence, petrol, tax, insurance tax etc etc - and you...
Forum: UK November 30th 07, 11:16 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By archierob
European Bike Express and the CTC

Unfortunately the same problem as with youth hostels and school parties.
Which is why I don't belong to the YHA any more.
A very pertinent...
Forum: UK November 4th 07, 03:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 3
Posted By archierob
Shimano A20 gear levers

Any one replaced the cable in one of these? Tried Googling but not a
lot of info. They are on my sons mountain bike. Any help appreciated -
but he will have to wait a while as I have just had eye...
Forum: UK August 7th 07, 11:43 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 175
Posted By archierob
Armstrong and doping on American radio

I have not clicked into any of this stuff. With Armstrong - surely the
most tested athlete of all time - there can be only two conclusions:

(a) he was clean.

(b) he had the best chemist that ever...
Forum: UK July 30th 07, 12:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By archierob
The New Tour de France

Up there with Sheldon Brown's April the 1st posting a while back
informing us that the French were only allowing French speaking
cyclists to enter the TDF. Narrows it down a bit in their favour but...
Forum: UK July 24th 07, 09:35 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 49
Posted By archierob
Do you have to cheat?

It is a passion - perhaps the one enduring passion of my life, I love
my bike, I love cycling - but should I love it? It has become a game
of cheats and chemists - my chemist is more gifted than...
Forum: General July 23rd 07, 11:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban
Replies: 652
Posted By archierob
Can you make it to the market on a bike?

Well done!

One only has to read Bill Bryson's book 'Notes from a Big Country' to
realise just how pervasive the automobile is in America. Trying to get
anywhere other than by car is difficult -...
Forum: Social Issues July 23rd 07, 11:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban
Replies: 637
Posted By archierob
Can you make it to the market on a bike?

Well done!

One only has to read Bill Bryson's book 'Notes from a Big Country' to
realise just how pervasive the automobile is in America. Trying to get
anywhere other than by car is difficult -...
Forum: Recumbent Biking July 23rd 07, 11:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban
Replies: 463
Posted By archierob
Can you make it to the market on a bike?

Well done!

One only has to read Bill Bryson's book 'Notes from a Big Country' to
realise just how pervasive the automobile is in America. Trying to get
anywhere other than by car is difficult -...
Forum: UK July 23rd 07, 11:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,alt.planning.urban
Replies: 577
Posted By archierob
Can you make it to the market on a bike?

Well done!

One only has to read Bill Bryson's book 'Notes from a Big Country' to
realise just how pervasive the automobile is in America. Trying to get
anywhere other than by car is difficult -...
Forum: UK July 18th 07, 12:08 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By archierob
BBC "Saddle Saints"

Claire Sutton managed to succinctly destroy cycling in one paragraph.
Must
admit, I am thinking of becoming a walking instructor - surely there
is a
gap in the market.

--------------------

What...
Forum: UK July 10th 07, 10:25 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By archierob
?Hi Hi Hi.....ARE YOU Searching for Happiness

Wise words - perhaps you should post it to:

uk.rec.massmurderdeathtoallnonbelievers.co.uk
Forum: UK July 9th 07, 02:13 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 10
Posted By archierob
Distance calculator

Can any one point me to a free prog for finding out the distance from
point A to B in the UK. Yes I have googled but could only find a
postcode one or one you have to pay for.

The older ones in...
Forum: UK March 31st 07, 12:24 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 66
Posted By archierob
Riding on the pavement

Whatever the circumstances they will find an excuse to circumvent the
'law'. In pursuit of a crime etc. Testing the vehicle to its limit -ie
doing 160 mph on a public highway. Shooting dead Harry...
Forum: UK March 31st 07, 12:10 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 66
Posted By archierob
Riding on the pavement

Indeed they are as I noticed when a police car was parked outside the
local chippie on double yellow with crossing zigzags but an inch away.
Good evening constables do you realise that the law...
Forum: UK March 30th 07, 11:29 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 54
Posted By archierob
Sleeping mats for camping.

http://www.alpkit.com/airic/

It says you wouldn't want to carry the fat airic around but if it
meant a good nights sleep I am certainly thinking about it.
Forum: UK March 28th 07, 10:29 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 72
Posted By archierob
Kids riding on pavement - local news story

Indeed I do. Legally. From coming off the Taff trail and proceeding
towards Tescos the road is so dangerous and busy that Cardiff City
Council in their infinite wisdom have designated the pavement...
Forum: UK March 28th 07, 02:44 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 72
Posted By archierob
Kids riding on pavement - local news story

I don't think she is a stupid woman. My son is grown now but I told
him to cycle on the pavement. I think in the end you make the decision
that although you know that technically it is illegal so...
Forum: UK March 22nd 07, 12:53 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 23
Posted By archierob
Boris Johnson

After a life time of political 'leftness' this is the one Tory that I
can agree with. He gives the appearance of being a bumbling Toff at
times but when one examines the substance of some of his...
Forum: UK March 12th 07, 03:52 PM Posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 605
Posted By archierob
Move to change law

Until they start contributing to the costs of the roads they use for
nothing and obeying the traffic laws, surely they shouldn't be given
even more privileges.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -...
Forum: UK December 20th 06, 12:34 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 12
Posted By archierob
"you're only a cyclist"

Although not spoken yes. Stopped when I was on a main road whilst an
Indian gentleman was in his BMW pulling out of a side street only
looking left, I stopped, and asked can't you see me? Redundant...
Forum: UK December 16th 06, 12:35 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 1
Posted By archierob
Cancer has been Lance Armstrong's friend

Interesting but speculative. Who knows? The main thing that cancer
survival has taught me is how precious the gift of life is and never,
ever give in. Then again both he and I have been lucky, we...
Forum: UK December 15th 06, 02:46 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By archierob
Also seen in the Metro today ... vaguely on topic

Be you ever so high the law is above you.

Well if you are a member of the public that is, if however you are a
speeding cop you are always performing 'trials' as was that cop and
the one caught...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 44