Showing results 1 to 25 of 468
Search took 1.33 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: sergio
Forum: Techniques March 17th 10, 09:24 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 17
Posted By sergio
That damn wind

On 17 Mar, 08:52, Ben C wrote:
I think you're misunderstanding Michael's point. You probably both agree
that the power of wind resistance is proportional to speed cubed, or
Forum: Techniques March 17th 10, 07:34 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 6
Posted By sergio
Frozen quill stem - drill and hack method?

Have you tried yet to hammer the quill out?
I have seen that done a couple of times in a local shop nearby here.
That was a well experimented method, for them.
At hand they had an old crank arm...
Forum: Techniques March 14th 10, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 0
Posted By sergio
Interview with Jobst Brandt

Let me put down my own recollections of Jobst Brandt.

It's been quite a few years since I ran across the story of some
'Bicycle Ttrip 19XX', when I instantly realized that the man knew well
the...
Forum: Techniques March 9th 10, 08:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 82
Posted By sergio
what is it about old stuff?

On 9 Mar, 04:18, Jobst Brandt wrote:
OK, one step farther. *Where can I purchase at least one of these:
Forum: Techniques March 6th 10, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By sergio
Time to bring back the cotter pin?

On 6 Mar, 15:24, landotter wrote:
Nothing a file and a vise can't solve. Not that I'm a big fan of
cotters.

We ran into another problem when I borrowed a student's bike to...
Forum: Techniques March 6th 10, 08:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 11
Posted By sergio
Time to bring back the cotter pin?

On 6 Mar, 01:19, Andre Jute wrote:

One advantage of the cotter pin is the chainline is fixed once and for
all time.

Better said: the chain (front-half) line is fixed.
Which...
Forum: Techniques March 5th 10, 09:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By sergio
Bike Brand In The News

On 5 Mar, 06:27, AMuzi wrote:
What of the excellent wine, Masi:http://www.masi.it/

Hold it!
That's the producer of the finest Amarone, one of my favorite wines.
As...
Forum: Techniques March 4th 10, 08:40 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By sergio
Creeping seatpost

On 4 Mar, 19:42, "
wrote:
Perhaps it is a geographical argument. *Living northern CA (for the
experiences above) and MI these are my...
Forum: Techniques March 4th 10, 06:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By sergio
Creeping seatpost

On 4 Mar, 18:31, RobertH wrote:
Fold up a Twix wrapper (make sure it's a Twix) into a point so that
you can jam it between the post and the frame as you push the post
into the...
Forum: Techniques March 4th 10, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 41
Posted By sergio
Creeping seatpost

On 4 Mar, 14:26, N8N wrote:
Also, measuring the post and tube are good ideas...

Don't let it fool you, since it might.
The tube may be too large down below, although it...
Forum: Techniques February 28th 10, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 68
Posted By sergio
WHEN DID THE BICYCLE BECOME MASS TRANSPORT? by Andre Jute

My father used to tell us that when he was young, around the 20's,
owning a bicycle was a clear proof of affluence.
Many workers were still wakling to work, 6 or 7 miles away, from
Falconara to...
Forum: Techniques February 25th 10, 09:02 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 85
Posted By sergio
question of weight on a bike

On 25 Feb, 01:27, Jobst Brandt wrote:
I've seen enough bars crack at the stem clamp to appreciate that.
Here they are in use, where aluminum bars have bent:
Forum: Techniques February 24th 10, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 85
Posted By sergio
question of weight on a bike

On 24 Feb, 01:17, Tim McNamara wrote:
Then go learn something about terminal velocity.

Caveat, just in case ... .

Terminal velocity is _not_ a fundamental constant of...
Forum: Techniques February 23rd 10, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 85
Posted By sergio
question of weight on a bike

On 23 Feb, 19:28, AMuzi wrote:
Are you religious, or what?
The whole sad thing was a mess of politics and not as clear
cut as the current grammar school...
Forum: Techniques February 23rd 10, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 85
Posted By sergio
question of weight on a bike

On 23 Feb, 16:36, raamman wrote:
Galileo theorized equal acceleration of bodies of different mass; this
was later demonstrated on the moon where a feather and a hammer were
Forum: Racing February 22nd 10, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Replies: 0
Posted By sergio
Requiescat: Vanni Pettenella

Olympic medalist Vanni Pettenella has passed away.
Requiescat in pace

Sergio
Pisa
Forum: Techniques February 20th 10, 02:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By sergio
Single diamond frame

On 20 Feb, 11:21, "Bert" wrote:
Look like a bike, but can you really ride it

I had to look at it twice to decide which side would be the front one
for me.
Then I noriced the...
Forum: Techniques February 18th 10, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 53
Posted By sergio
Don't do what I did

On 18 Feb, 14:56, Peter Cole wrote:
I've never torn a sidewall from a brake pad,

I once got two flats in quick succession just because of that.
I later filed...
Forum: Techniques February 18th 10, 01:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 53
Posted By sergio
Don't do what I did

On 18 Feb, 12:37, thirty-six wrote:
On 18 Feb, 02:23, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Once more! The general failure of these tires is not dependent on the
Forum: Techniques February 13th 10, 10:25 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 83
Posted By sergio
Seized quill stem

On 13 Feb, 09:08, "Graham" wrote:
In my
experience aluminium oxide does not show significant elastic properties...
Forum: Techniques February 12th 10, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 83
Posted By sergio
Seized quill stem

On 12 Feb, 19:54, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Heat waves can do wonders.
From my experience that is wishful thinking, rather than fact. I am
not sure how solidly your seized...
Forum: Techniques February 12th 10, 08:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 83
Posted By sergio
Seized quill stem

On 12 Feb, 19:46, AMuzi wrote:
Jobst notes that the aluminum oxide layer is inert but I
don't think that phenomenon has any practical effect in the
instant case of a...
Forum: Techniques February 12th 10, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 83
Posted By sergio
Seized quill stem

On 12 Feb, 19:08, Jobst Brandt wrote:

Instead of offering rhetorical questions,

As rethorical as you might have read it, it perhaps deserved a better
answer.

Forum: Techniques February 12th 10, 06:21 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 83
Posted By sergio
Seized quill stem

On 12 Feb, 18:02, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Heat has no effect on aluminum oxide inside a steel steertube.

You serious, Jobst?
Isn't this statement a tad too bold?

Sergio
Pisa
Forum: Techniques February 12th 10, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 83
Posted By sergio
Seized quill stem

On 12 Feb, 14:37, "Graham" wrote:
Everyting is now well greased and back together.

All's well that ends well.
Now, keep up with the excercise: dismantle, clean...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 468