Showing results 1 to 25 of 175
Search took 4.79 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Derk
Forum: Racing February 11th 11, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 96
Posted By Derk
20110208 Update on Jobst

Stephen Bauman wrote:

The side road (Whiskey Hill Rd) intersects the through road (Sand Hill
Rd) at a 45 degree angle. The turning angle for a right turn onto the
side road would be 135...
Forum: Techniques March 31st 10, 10:33 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 9
Posted By Derk
Ping Lou -- inflating Big Apples

Andre Jute wrote:

Lou, do you use the SKS Rennkompressor to pump up your Big Apples?
I must be one of the few people who are not happy with the Rennkompressor:
the pump head is worthless IMHO. I...
Forum: Techniques November 22nd 09, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Derk
truing a wheel

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Just visit the UK in the winter where room temp is mostly about the
temp of good beer..IOW, cool to cold.
Good idea! Then I'll be able to visit the places that...
Forum: Techniques November 22nd 09, 01:03 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Derk
truing a wheel

Michael Press wrote:

Pub food won't kill you.
I hope so, because the first time I was in the UK and had pubfood, I got
beef (and horrible huge peas) during the beginning of the BSE period.

Derk
Forum: Techniques November 21st 09, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Derk
truing a wheel

Mark Cleary wrote:

Don't let good beer go waste that is close to a sin.
On the beer front we can't complain he to the South there's Belgium with
small breweries and monasteries where specialty...
Forum: Techniques November 20th 09, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 50
Posted By Derk
truing a wheel

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Most of these write from the UK.
These are the same people who drink beer at room temperature and enjoy pub
food. That should tell you something ;-)

Derk
Forum: Techniques November 4th 09, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Derk
How long do your rims last?

Andre Jute wrote:

Sand ("silicon" if you want to sound scientific) and a spot of oil
makes a fine grinding paste! -- Andre Jute
....and still these rims last several years!

This is my 15 year...
Forum: Techniques November 4th 09, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Derk
How long do your rims last?

This is it:

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6541/winterbike.jpg

Derk
Forum: Techniques November 4th 09, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Derk
How long do your rims last?

Andre Jute wrote:

Mmm. If you ride five days a week, call it 22 days a month,
Call it 29-30 days/month :-)

that's 8800 klicks a year, say about 25K by now. Impressive.
I never ride through...
Forum: Techniques November 3rd 09, 04:25 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 27
Posted By Derk
How long do your rims last?

Andre Jute wrote:

How long do the rims on your bike last? Under what conditions? -- AJ
CXP33 that UI only use in bad weather last a few years (3-4). I ride about
50 km/day with these from...
Forum: Techniques July 21st 09, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 16
Posted By Derk
A good CF kickstand out there?

Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:

Are there any good carbon fiber kickstands out there?
Just what the world really needs....

Derk
Forum: Techniques June 10th 09, 08:32 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 37
Posted By Derk
Advice regarding Octalink BB/Crank

pb in sdca wrote:

I have owned one octalink setup. I consistently had problems with the
crankbolts loosening, and the cranks loosening on the splines. Very
frustrating.
I never had any...
Forum: Techniques May 3rd 09, 07:43 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 14
Posted By Derk
Dura Ace 7700 Octalink bottom bracket... cures for clicking?

rruff wrote:

Peter... have you experienced the 7700 making noises like I described
and have you had any luck at "fixing" them, when all the parts look
good?
I have th esame problm with a...
Forum: Techniques April 11th 09, 08:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Derk
Cycling in Poland: beware!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7994857.stm

Derk
Forum: Techniques April 5th 09, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 7
Posted By Derk
Is the Shimano BB-7703 really maintainable?

wrote:
Lots of negative opinions out there on the Octalink
design in general but I have 20,000+ miles on a sealed unit with nary
a problem.
So do I. These things last around...
Forum: Techniques January 31st 09, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 217
Posted By Derk
The Perfect Commuter Bike For The Masses?

I just looked it up: there are on average 100 dead cyclists in The
Netherlands on 100 million cycling kilometers.

Derk
Forum: Techniques January 31st 09, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 217
Posted By Derk
The Perfect Commuter Bike For The Masses?

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
Ah the Netherlands, frequently cited for their deadly system of bike
lanes.
???? What kind of nonsence is that? We have millions of cyclists who ride on
bikelanes, but not...
Forum: Techniques January 30th 09, 07:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 2
Posted By Derk
10 speed shimano cog availability

autopi wrote:

I know I can order individual cogs for shimano 9 speed cassettes from
Harris Cyclery. Is there anywhere I can get individual cogs for a
shimano 10 speed...
Forum: Techniques January 30th 09, 07:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 65
Posted By Derk
OT - Free Linux Newsreader?

wrote:

In light of my issues "honoring the signiture seperator" I'm
considering trying out a newsreader on my Linux (eeebuntu, which is a
netbook version of ubuntu, which is...
Forum: Techniques November 26th 08, 10:05 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Derk
The 2% difference

Tom Sherman wrote:

Jan would whomp Lance at beer and bratwurst consumption!
A newspaper here claimed that Jan's main weakness is chocolates.

Derk
Forum: Techniques November 24th 08, 10:09 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 25
Posted By Derk
The 2% difference

There are several reports that Jan Ullrich (sorry for the typo)
was able to do that:
I think Der Jan is undoubtedly one of the most talented cyclists we've ever
seen. It's a pity he didn't have...
Forum: Techniques November 9th 08, 01:00 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 21
Posted By Derk
shifting 9 with 10-speed Shimano lever?

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

... I have stockpile of 9-speed cassettes I'd like to use up.
I could have written that line!

Derk
Forum: Techniques November 9th 08, 07:50 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 51
Posted By Derk
Stretching before hard exercise

Michael Press wrote:

A literal warm-up has an additional advantage. Viruses
do not flourish, or even survive at an elevated body
temperature.
Whenever I've a cold I keep cycling, but in a...
Forum: Techniques November 8th 08, 08:40 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 51
Posted By Derk
Stretching before hard exercise

wrote:

I've never been a fan of this widely practiced painful exercise
regimen, and now I feel vindicated because I prefer to warm up by
riding my bicycle...
Forum: Techniques November 8th 08, 08:38 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech