Showing results 1 to 25 of 180
Search took 3.38 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jim Higson
Forum: UK December 6th 07, 03:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Jim Higson
2006 Campag Veloce Hub Adjustment

Pete Biggs wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:
John Miller wrote:

My rear wheel which is just a year old has a bit of play which would
normally result from badly-adjusted cones, except that...
Forum: UK December 6th 07, 01:07 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

John Miller wrote:

My rear wheel which is just a year old has a bit of play which would
normally result from badly-adjusted cones, except that this hub has
cartridge bearings and doesn't...
Forum: Techniques November 8th 07, 10:34 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 26
Posted By Jim Higson
Miche cassettes teeth chipped and broken

Paul S wrote:

I have two of the Miche Campagnolo-compatible 10s cassettes in 11-25.
It's a delightful gearing for riding hills with a 50/34 compact. Now
with about 1500 miles on one cassette...
Forum: UK November 8th 07, 06:41 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 41
Posted By Jim Higson
Obscure eBay bikes

_ wrote:

though I
have not yet seen an example of one [Quill stem] with both an adjustable
slope *and* adjustable extension.

The old quill version of the Look Ergostem did that.
Forum: UK October 22nd 07, 08:19 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 4
Posted By Jim Higson
100 mile tt record

Phil Cook wrote:

Robert Norton wrote:

As a young racer I was thrilled when Ray Booty first broke 4 hours. What
does the record stand at now? 3.27?

Forum: UK October 15th 07, 04:54 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 7
Posted By Jim Higson
Cycling saves £500,000,000

Marc Brett wrote:

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:52:00 +0100, Tom Crispin
wrote:

I think that this is a significant document for...
Forum: UK October 15th 07, 04:43 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Jim Higson
BB lockring tool

Pete Biggs wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:
TheMgt wrote:

I've been considering getting a TA Axix BB to replace my cheapo
Shimano one (and hopefully eliminate some of the chain runout)...
Forum: UK October 14th 07, 08:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Jim Higson
BB lockring tool

TheMgt wrote:

I've been considering getting a TA Axix BB to replace my cheapo Shimano
one (and hopefully eliminate some of the chain runout) but apparently
they need a proprietary lockring...
Forum: UK October 12th 07, 04:38 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 72
Posted By Jim Higson
Oh dear... cycling "advocate" on Radio Wales

In my town there is a group called Grwp Beic (Welsh for "bike group"). One
of their more active members posted this to a mailing list I subscribe to
today:

I'd advise not to listen to the radio show...
Forum: Techniques October 3rd 07, 11:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Jim Higson
How far in should a Chorus left crank be?

A Muzi wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:
I removed and refitted a left crank recently, and now I've fitted it
again it just doesn't look far enough up the taper. I don't have a
picture, but I...
Forum: Techniques October 3rd 07, 09:07 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 10
Posted By Jim Higson
How far in should a Chorus left crank be?

Lou Holtman wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:

Their advice is pretty much the same as Peters - don't grease the spindle
and use the recommended torque.

Thanks again.
Jim
Forum: Techniques September 27th 07, 10:42 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 8
Posted By Jim Higson
Vickers numbers and chainring hardness

wrote:

I was looking at this Tour Magazine test of the Campagnolo Ultra
Torque crankset (German...
Forum: UK September 10th 07, 05:38 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 5
Posted By Jim Higson
Spinergy Spox

bob wrote:

I have picked up an old (1987) Specialized Hardrock MTB that came with
Spinergy Spox wheels. The wheels are pretty much overkill for what I
want but I am now the proud owner.

Forum: Techniques August 29th 07, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim Higson
Working with bladed spokes...

Antti Salonen wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:

I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from
turning. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a...
Forum: Techniques August 29th 07, 04:18 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim Higson
Working with bladed spokes...

David L. Johnson wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:

I understand there is a special tool to stop the bladed spokes from
turning. Can anyone tell me what this looks like? I'd imaging a slot in a
Forum: Techniques August 28th 07, 07:08 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim Higson
Working with bladed spokes...

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:37 am, Jim Higson wrote:
I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes that I got with
a bike. The...
Forum: Techniques August 28th 07, 06:48 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim Higson
Working with bladed spokes...

wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 07:24:36 -0700, Colin Campbell
wrote:

Jim Higson wrote:
I'm going to be trueing a wheel built with bladed spokes...
Forum: UK August 19th 07, 07:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 71
Posted By Jim Higson
Radical gearing change: advice needed...

Bonge Boo wrote:

Alternatively I could try to find a much smaller front chainring. I
reckon a 30x44 would do the job nicely. But I'm guessing that will balls
up the STI?

I don't think the...
Forum: UK July 25th 07, 10:31 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Jim Higson
Source for a Campy 9 speed cassette 13-29 ?

davy wrote:

Dear All,

Can anybody enlighten me on an online source for a Campy compatible 9
speed cassette 13-29 ?

Campagnolo make a 13-28 in 9 speed, which is pretty close to what you...
Forum: UK July 9th 07, 05:48 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 6
Posted By Jim Higson
Bent wheels

Simon L wrote:

It depends how far it's been bent, and I'm not clear from what you're
saying. But if the brake tracks are still true, and if bike shop thought
it was worth truing, it's...
Forum: UK July 1st 07, 10:59 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 38
Posted By Jim Higson
Cycling to work yesterday (Friday).

Simon Brooke wrote:

in message , Nigel
') wrote:

Also if I'm going the same speed as traffic there's still a...
Forum: UK June 29th 07, 08:06 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Jim Higson
Why does my back wheel twist round?

Simon Brooke wrote:

in message ,
(' ') wrote:

I carefully position the wheel in the...
Forum: UK June 9th 07, 05:21 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Jim Higson
noises from spokes

Jim Higson wrote:

When I push hard on the pedals (standing to go uphill) I'm getting a
twangy noise from my rear wheel spokes, similar to if something was gently
touching them as they go...
Forum: UK June 9th 07, 10:29 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Jim Higson
noises from spokes

John wrote:

In article , Jim Higson
writes
I have a magnet on the back wheel, but it is plenty far from the sensor.
In fact, it...
Forum: UK June 7th 07, 06:43 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 16
Posted By Jim Higson
noises from spokes

Rob Morley wrote: