Showing results 1 to 25 of 27
Search took 2.60 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jon[_5_]
Forum: UK February 2nd 12, 08:27 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 18
Posted By Jon[_5_]
More cyclists own cars than do non cyclists

On Jan 31, 12:11*pm, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE:
according to the Department for Transport’s National
Travel Survey, 83 per cent of cyclists own a car, compared to 82 per
Forum: UK September 14th 11, 04:37 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 92
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Cycling is an 'abnormal' thing to do

On Sep 13, 10:51*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
a three year study says so. *Most any one could have told them that in a
minute or two.

Of course they could.

Posting in this...
Forum: UK September 2nd 11, 04:11 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 45
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Yet more pavement cycling

On Sep 2, 3:51*pm, "Mr Pounder" wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message

Forum: UK September 2nd 11, 03:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 45
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Yet more pavement cycling

On Sep 2, 2:25*pm, "Mr Pounder" wrote:
"Marie" wrote in message

Forum: UK November 22nd 10, 12:45 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 50
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Cheerfully wrong

On Nov 19, 8:44*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:

The fact is that there are thousands of truly awful drivers out there, I see
them, you see them, everyone has horror stories of...
Forum: UK November 17th 10, 12:32 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 33
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Why bikes are a viable form of transport

On Nov 16, 6:47*pm, JMS wrote:

Mile for mile - chance of you being killed or seriously injured -
about 30 times *on a bike cf being in a car.

And what, mile for...
Forum: UK November 16th 10, 04:40 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 33
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Why bikes are a viable form of transport

Latest figures from DfT: KSI per billion passenger kilometres:

Van: 5 people
Bus/Coach: 9 people
Car : 18 people
Pedestrians:...
Forum: UK April 24th 10, 10:32 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 107
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Do pedestrians and cyclists subsidise motorists' shopping

On 8 Apr, 13:56, Jon wrote:
On 8 Apr, 10:06, ash wrote:

These cycle trailers are a rare oddity. I can count on one hand how
Forum: UK April 8th 10, 02:13 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 107
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Do pedestrians and cyclists subsidise motorists' shopping

On 7 Apr, 19:00, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Tom Crispin wrote:
The cost to a supermarket for providing and maintaining a large car
park must be huge....
Forum: UK April 8th 10, 02:02 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 107
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Do pedestrians and cyclists subsidise motorists' shopping

On 8 Apr, 00:33, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

The point you miss (Loutish deleted) is that supermarkets don't wish to attract custom
from cheapskate...
Forum: UK April 8th 10, 01:56 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 8 Apr, 10:06, ash wrote:

These cycle trailers are a rare oddity. I can count on one hand how
many I've seen on the road in the last 5 years.

Yes, odd. Rarely a...
Forum: UK January 7th 10, 02:39 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.running
Replies: 2
Posted By Jon[_5_]
There are now more Africans in England than in many Africancountries

On 7 Jan, 02:22, Divided by Diversity ☺☻☺
wrote:
There are now more blacks in England than in many African countries,

There are also many more whites in North...
Forum: UK November 9th 09, 11:06 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 75
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Blue light experiment.

On 7 Nov, 21:07, (Alan Braggins) wrote:

Personally I think fitting blue flashing lights with the deliberate
intention of being mistaken for an emergency vehicle is...
Forum: UK October 6th 09, 02:57 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 117
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Why do cyclists?

On 5 Oct, *
* * wrote:

In article ,
Jon wrote:

That was...
Forum: UK October 5th 09, 01:05 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 117
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Why do cyclists?

On 4 Oct, 22:51, wrote:

That was actually the reason for requiring headlights. *It put the
onus on the pedestrians to avoid the cars, rather than on the drivers
to avoid the...
Forum: UK September 17th 09, 03:45 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 15
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Which law says to ride on the left?

On 17 Sep, 11:30, "mileburner" wrote:

I think I shall try cycling on the right hand side of the lane
tomorrow and see if less cars overtake dangerously...
Forum: UK September 16th 09, 01:00 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 132
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Daily Mail again

On 15 Sep, 16:07, JNugent wrote:
Jon wrote:
The advertisers are not responsible for the article, but boycotting
their products anyway and telling them why...
Forum: UK September 15th 09, 03:45 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 132
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Daily Mail again

On 14 Sep, 20:06, Chris Gerhard wrote:
Another "journalist" who thinks it is clever to drive like a moron and
bully cyclists.

Forum: UK August 17th 09, 02:24 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 71
Posted By Jon[_5_]
The CTC (The UK's National Cycling Organisation)

On 17 Aug, 11:17, "Mr Benn" wrote:

Cycling is a potentially-dangerous hobby in the wrong places and at the
wrong times.

Motoring is the hobby which creates in fact...
Forum: UK June 25th 09, 12:42 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 8
Posted By Jon[_5_]
What is this the rest of the time?

On 25 June, 09:45, wrote:
I suppose it could be a Smart Car lane...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chthonic/3658882863/

I imagine the sign goes back to before the kerb...
Forum: UK May 25th 09, 10:08 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 149
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Cycling on pavements

On 25 May, 07:52, Bod wrote:
Being a cyclist myself,I'm amazed at the number of people who
deliberately ride on the footpath,....

I'd like to be, but it is too common a...
Forum: UK May 19th 09, 04:26 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 33
Posted By Jon[_5_]
5 day London Hebrides London Tour?

On 19 May, 14:33, Phil Cook wrote:

I think I've got the ferries figured. The one that is crucial is the
Sound of Harris on Sunday

Be aware that this is also the...
Forum: UK May 11th 09, 02:10 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 9
Posted By Jon[_5_]
Something the Car-Haters Won't Like

On 10 May, 17:17, Nuxx Bar wrote:

They might prefer this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/8043756.stm

Car sinks in quicksands at Breen, somerset.
Forum: UK March 24th 09, 11:47 AM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 36
Posted By Jon[_5_]
True or False?

On 23 Mar, 21:08, Nuxx Bar wrote:

*Why do *you* suppose that the media regard you as a load of lycra louts?

'The media' as a whole don't. I think you will find those...
Forum: UK March 23rd 09, 02:50 PM Posted to uk.rec.cycling
Replies: 60
Posted By Jon[_5_]
School charging for pupils cycling to school

On 23 Mar, 14:30, TonyB wrote:
My 11 year old is starting senior school next September. *His new
school will charge him (us) £54 per term if we allow him to cycle...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 27