Search: Posts made by: SMS
Forum: Techniques July 10th 19, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 132
Posted By SMS
So Long Tubulars?

On 7/10/2019 12:35 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

And if you flat when its cold and miserable and raining, a CO2 inflator is a godsend and beats the hell out of flogging a clown pump.

I suppose. But...
Forum: Techniques July 10th 19, 07:39 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 132
Posted By SMS
So Long Tubulars?

On 7/10/2019 8:46 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

Yes. And the 1980 tires were worse:
https://patents.justia.com/assignee/carefree-bicycle-tire-company

I used a Bike Share bike in Vienna Austria last...
Forum: Techniques July 10th 19, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 132
Posted By SMS
So Long Tubulars?

On 7/6/2019 11:22 PM, Chalo wrote:
I was just observing to one of my coworkers that tubeless is the new sewups-- inconvenient, messy, time-consuming, and totally useless for 99% of the people who...
Forum: Techniques July 10th 19, 03:24 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 5
Posted By SMS
Why Are People Here?

On 7/10/2019 6:13 AM, Duane wrote:

snip

Maybe but it's the signal to noise ratio that affects communication
channels...

An active filter greatly improves the signal to noise ratio.
Forum: Techniques July 10th 19, 03:17 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 44
Posted By SMS
Why Are People Here?

On 7/10/2019 12:50 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

snip

Total Value: $111,522 Use Code: 110 Zoning:
snip

The assessed value is meaningless. Due to Prop 13 the assessed value is
limited to a 2%...
Forum: Techniques July 10th 19, 06:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 44
Posted By SMS
Why Are People Here?

On 7/9/2019 4:01 PM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

I hear $750K buys bupkus in Oakland:

Forum: Techniques June 28th 19, 04:19 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By SMS
BB standard

On 6/28/2019 5:39 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:

snip

In smaller vehicles, with hand operated parking brakes, it’s not a big
deal.

Subaru has their "Hill Holder Clutch." Someone said that VW also...
Forum: Techniques June 28th 19, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 35
Posted By SMS
Cycling: almost actual science

On 6/28/2019 12:46 AM, Chalo wrote:
I think segregated bike lanes should take the form of every second street being off limits to motor vehicles. In areas with grid street layout, this would...
Forum: Techniques June 28th 19, 04:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By SMS
BB standard

On 6/27/2019 7:15 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Given that a good friends family had about a 1939 Chevrolet and they
seemed to go through about one clutch a year I believe that clutch
wear is...
Forum: Techniques June 28th 19, 12:01 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By SMS
BB standard

On 6/27/2019 3:00 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, June 27, 2019 at 1:47:46 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/26/2019 5:26 PM, wrote:
I see no reason today for...
Forum: Techniques June 27th 19, 07:12 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By SMS
BB standard

On 6/27/2019 9:59 AM, wrote:

snip

But they are all available with an AT but people,
- feel manly to stick shift,
- find AT too expensive,
- don't know what they are...
Forum: Techniques June 27th 19, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By SMS
BB standard

On 6/26/2019 2:26 PM, wrote:

snip

Huh? We are catching up. For audi's, bmw and mercedes automatic transmission is the norm now. I made the switch 5 years ago after 35...
Forum: Techniques June 26th 19, 04:30 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By SMS
BB standard

On 6/26/2019 8:10 AM, David Scheidt wrote:
John B. wrote:

:In fact you can even buy a pickup truck with an automatic
:transmission.

In the US, you can't buy...
Forum: Techniques June 26th 19, 03:04 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 137
Posted By SMS
Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/26/2019 5:53 AM, Zen Cycle wrote:

snip

at least you're entertaining.

Perhaps he was mildly entertaining at first, but that kind of idiocy
gets old pretty fast, and it's why God invented...
Forum: Techniques June 26th 19, 11:06 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By SMS
BB standard

On 6/25/2019 9:34 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 20:54:43 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/25/2019 8:44 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

A lot of kids are...
Forum: Techniques June 26th 19, 04:54 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 125
Posted By SMS
BB standard

On 6/25/2019 8:44 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

A lot of kids are capable driving a clutch but see it as a throw-back. They would rather drive an automatic and not sweat shifting. I don't blame...
Forum: Techniques June 25th 19, 12:26 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 137
Posted By SMS
Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/24/2019 11:09 AM, wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 1:01:32 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:

The assurance of a credible seller that a CF frame has not been crashed is...
Forum: Techniques June 24th 19, 10:15 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 137
Posted By SMS
Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/23/2019 7:47 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 09:29:05 +0700, John B.
wrote:

The steel bends or elongates prior to complete
failure while the...
Forum: Techniques June 23rd 19, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 137
Posted By SMS
Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/23/2019 8:42 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Yes, like this anecdote. And for a lawsuit counter-anecdote, I've been representing Trek and Specialized in Oregon for over 20 years. It's like being...
Forum: Techniques June 23rd 19, 03:36 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 137
Posted By SMS
Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/23/2019 4:39 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 23, 2019 at 11:04:11 AM UTC+2, sms wrote:
On 6/22/2019 8:10 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

All my CF bikes have...
Forum: Techniques June 23rd 19, 10:04 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 137
Posted By SMS
Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/22/2019 8:10 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

All my CF bikes have lifetime warranties, including an exceptionally light Emonda SLR.

It would be a mistake to judge the durability of a frame (of...
Forum: Techniques June 22nd 19, 10:41 AM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 19
Posted By SMS
Ceramic drive chain

On 6/20/2019 8:47 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

By the way, I checked some of their prices and they are shocking! A
set of two pulley wheels for a Shimano 9 - 10 speed rear derailer at
about 199...
Forum: Techniques June 19th 19, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 165
Posted By SMS
Protecting yourself

On 6/15/2019 5:12 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Yes, CRV (California Refund Value).
https://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/bevcontainer
Forum: Techniques June 19th 19, 09:27 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 137
Posted By SMS
Steel is Real and Carbon is Lighter

On 6/18/2019 10:24 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

What is a "tiny improvement"? The frame on my Emonda probably weighs less than the Columbus steel forks off my last custom racing bike. Those things...
Forum: Techniques June 19th 19, 03:49 PM Posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Replies: 171
Posted By SMS
Bicycle statistics

On 6/8/2019 8:43 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
Probably depends in part on where you live- is it a "bike friendly"
place? I see a lot of folks in their 20s-30s riding around here,
although more in...