Old July 10th 03, 03:23 AM
S. Anderson

Default Winter Riding

"Jeff" wrote in message
Howdy.

I'm seeking advice on riding in winter (with snow, ice, etc). I'm

planning
on heading back to school in the fall (18 years after getting my BCSc)

and,
money being tight, the daily commute will be bus or bike. I've yet to
ascertain whether there is a bike lockup at the relevant campus.

Winnipeg does a good job of snow removal on major roads, which would

suffice
for 95% of the commute. But there is always some snow, sand, and salt,

left
on the road.

Has anyone tried commuting under such conditions? If so, have you any

words
of advice?

My primary bike is a road bike (Giant OCR3). If a mountain bike is more
appropriate, I could probably pick up an el-cheapo at a local sporting

goods
store. Might do that anyways as my road bike doesn't really (and

shouldn't)
support panniers.

TIA.

You're going to commute in Winterpeg?!?! Portage and Main, 15 below!?!
Good for you! My first word of advice is, don't use any bike you care
about! Salt will destroy its appearance very quickly. I'd pick up a
clunker..a used mountain bike or a cheapie at Sportchek or something. Maybe
consider some studded MTB tires for those days when you get 4" of snow
unexpectedly..maybe mixed with some ice pellets or freezing rain. Get some
real fenders too..they are a real help. They are quite underrated
IMHO..they keep a lot of gunk off your bike and off of you. And they're
cheap and pretty lightweight. Make sure you do all the right lube things on
your bike..grease the seatpost and stem, oil all the bolts while assembling
etc. Salt is really very bad on a bike..I've seen some bikes here in
Toronto...blecchh.

Good Luck,

Scott..