Old July 10th 03, 05:37 PM
Paul Southworth

Default Winter Riding

In article ,
Jeff wrote:
Howdy.

I'm seeking advice on riding in winter (with snow, ice, etc). I'm planning
on heading back to school in the fall (18 years after getting my BCSc) and,
money being tight, the daily commute will be bus or bike. I've yet to
ascertain whether there is a bike lockup at the relevant campus.

Winnipeg does a good job of snow removal on major roads, which would suffice
for 95% of the commute. But there is always some snow, sand, and salt, left
on the road.

Has anyone tried commuting under such conditions? If so, have you any words
of advice?

My primary bike is a road bike (Giant OCR3). If a mountain bike is more
appropriate, I could probably pick up an el-cheapo at a local sporting goods
store. Might do that anyways as my road bike doesn't really (and shouldn't)
support panniers.

Get the el-cheapo (I suggest finding a used one rather than a
department store POS) because regular commuting in salt will use
up the bike. Make sure the brakes work well - careful adjustment,
new cables, pads. Fat tires are a good idea.

I don't know what it's like in Winnipeg, but on many college campuses
even an OCR3 is too nice a bike to lock up on campus on due to theft
risk. I usually picked up $10 3-speed from a garage sale for the
purpose.

--Paul