Old July 10th 03, 10:33 PM
Buck

Default Winter Riding

"mark" wrote in message news:Z5kPa.40423

1. A mountain bike does seem to work better for commuting, although a

tourer
works well, too.

I agree with this. The bike that sees the most commuting miles under my butt
these days is my rain/beater bike. It's an older rigid mountain bike with
slicks, full fenders, rear rack with a "trunk," and plenty of lighting. But
I am also known for riding a full-suspension mountain bike with slicks as my
primary commuting steed. The beater just can't match the comfort, but it is
a moot point on the roads I find myself riding these days.

2. Messenger bags are nice- easier to ride a bike with than a backpack,

but
unlike panniers you can still take eveything with you when you lock up the
bike on campus, at work, etc.

While I agree about the panniers, I have had less than stellar experiences
with messenger bags. If heat were a concern for you like it is for me in
Texas, I would recommend a cycling pack from Vaude (www.vaude.com).
Otherwise, you just can't match the carrying capacity or security of a good
backpack with a messenger bag. I'm sure they are fine for carrying papers
and whatnot, but when you throw in a bunch of books or a laptop computer,
the messenger bag just becomes to unwieldy for bicycle use. Messengers
really like messenger bags because the compartment is easily accessible
without removing the bag.

3. Lights are crucial- the new LED blinkie lights are best. Get at least

one
taillight on the bike, and clip a few more on your seat bag, messenger

bag,
or wherever else is convenient. The more powerful LED headlights are
adequate for commuting (Cateye EL-300). I don't know what's available in
Canada, but here in the US Wal-Mart sells lithium AA batteries, which work
well in LED lights and last much longer in severe cold than alkaline
batteries. They cost more than alkaline batteries, but the extra life span
more than offsets the higher cost, and not having to change batteries all
the time is nice.

I wholeheartedly agree. Lights are a must-have item.

As for dealing with the cold, It hasn't been a problem for me this far
south. I wish you the best of luck on that one.....

-Buck