Old August 2nd 03, 11:14 PM
MikeYankee

Default Buying bikes on Ebay

You must trust the seller not only to describe the bike fairly and accurately
but also to pack it securely for shipment.

Case in point: Last year I bought an older racing bike in poor cosmetic
condition that I wanted only for the frame. I got it for only $30, plus $45
packing & shipping to be handled by the seller's LBS. I think all the LBS did
was give the guy a used bike box. The seller said the frame was true and
corrosion-free, which was proved to be correct, but he was downright careless
in packing it. When UPS delivered it, the fork ends were protruding through
the cardboard bike box; inside, the downtube paint was gouged by the rear
wheel's cassette. Fortunately the only damage was cosmetic and I was
repainting the frame anyway. I was very lucky the fork ends, in particular,
were not trashed. I complained to the seller, who responsibly refunded me half
of what I'd spent.

The story has a happy ending in that once I built the bike up (with wheels and
components I already had) it proved to be a joy to ride -- stiff, light, fast,
and fits me like a glove. But it could have turned out worse.

This said, I might indeed by another bike on Ebay -- if and only if a reputable
LBS packed and shipped it.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)