Old August 3rd 03, 12:41 AM
Harris

Default Buying bikes on Ebay

"Jeff Sutton" wrote:

I'm in the market for a road bike, but I don't really want to spring for

the
full-price, shop-floor model. I never buy a new car, and for the same
reasons don't really want to buy a new bike.

What are the ups and downs of buying a bike on EBAY? Things that worry me:

It's not clear from your post how knowlegeable you are about bikes, bike
fit, and mechanics.

When buying on eBay you should must know exactly what you want, and what is
being offered. Furthermore, you should be prepared to do some work like
replacing a stem, or making various adjustments as necessary.

If the seller is knowlegeable and trustworthy (as evidenced by numerous
positive feedbacks), you MAY get a good deal. Even then, packing and
shipping costs on a complete bike can be high. And bid prices for some bikes
can get out of control.

I got a good deal on a frame on eBay, and got exactly what I bargained for.

For a complete bike (especially a used one), I think I'd like to see it in
person. The seller may not be aware of things like poorly built wheels, etc.

If you go the eBay route, ask the seller detailed questions, and check the
photos. If you have doubts, don't bid.

Buying a used bike locally might be a better choice.

Art Harris