Old December 29th 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Training for Power

On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 6:25:29 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 11:50:06 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 1:23:54 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
As I probably misplaced in Andre's string, I have decided to train in the winter for power. I can't remember doing this before but I must have done so.

I had a couple of toutes that are between 20 and 30 miles and I do a fast first half. Stop for coffee and donut and then a fast return. 24 miles ends up being about 2 hours with the stop.

When I started a couple of weeks ago I was averaging between 11 and 11.5 mph. Yesterday I was a git sore from Tuesday so I tried to take it a little easier. Tuesday's average was 14 mph and Thursday's was 14,75. There are a couple of rises that I was slowing down on and I'm not slowing down nearly as much now.

So let's see how this winter progresses and then when the weather improves I'll do some endurance rides since early April is a century. Last August my younger brother dropped me like the layer of dust on his bike. But he ran out of steam 10 miles from the end. But that ain't the way he tells it.

So, lets see how it goes.

If you want training for power you have to do that with a power meter so you know what you are doing. Average speed is not a good indicator especially when traffic lights are involved. If you just want to train (for what?) more effective than I agree short rides with higher intensities followed by enough recovery time are the way to go. Long boring rides with constant and low intensities are something from the past. For training that is except for PBP of course.

Lou

I absolutely disagree with the idea of power meters. Even the pros are stopping using those things.

What do you disagree with? Pros stopping with power meters? For training? Absolute nonsense.

Lou