Old December 31st 19, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Training for Power

On Tuesday, December 31, 2019 at 4:02:15 AM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/30/2019 8:05 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, December 30, 2019 at 3:06:44 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, December 30, 2019 at 7:00:24 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, December 30, 2019 at 1:31:56 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, December 30, 2019 at 1:30:19 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 1:23:31 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 7:32:31 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 9:53:48 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, December 29, 2019 at 6:25:29 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 11:50:06 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 1:23:54 AM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

-much snip-

I was wondering why there are many many power meters for sale on Craigslist.

Both people who bought (or were given) one, yet found
structured cycling activity unattractive plus riders who
continue to upgrade to improved (or maybe just more
feature-laden) models.

To some smaller extent, people who bought one cheap at a PX
or overseas outlet and also those who pilfered one or some
at work. Not to mention the ever-present shoplifters.

In short, just like everything else in the secondary
markets; nothing to see here.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I think you are right about that. There will be people that are disappointed in the fact that is a little more complicated. You have the numbers and now what? Same applies for heart rate monitors, GPS devices, cadence sensors or even cycling computers. Tom should ask himself what 'training for power' means to him as a 75 year old. If he means training with varying power blocks he needs a goal, a trainings plan and a power meter to know what he is doing. Him mentioning that he already sees an effect after 1 or 2 rides based on average speed make me suspicious. I hope that when I am at that age I'm satisfied by just riding the best I can without worrying that it gets downhill with age. I think Tom has a hard time to accept that.
Happy new year to you all.

Lou