Old January 16th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

Default Training for Power

On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 4:23:54 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
As I probably misplaced in Andre's string, I have decided to train in the winter for power. I can't remember doing this before but I must have done so.

I had a couple of toutes that are between 20 and 30 miles and I do a fast first half. Stop for coffee and donut and then a fast return. 24 miles ends up being about 2 hours with the stop.

When I started a couple of weeks ago I was averaging between 11 and 11.5 mph. Yesterday I was a git sore from Tuesday so I tried to take it a little easier. Tuesday's average was 14 mph and Thursday's was 14,75. There are a couple of rises that I was slowing down on and I'm not slowing down nearly as much now.

So let's see how this winter progresses and then when the weather improves I'll do some endurance rides since early April is a century. Last August my younger brother dropped me like the layer of dust on his bike. But he ran out of steam 10 miles from the end. But that ain't the way he tells it.

So, lets see how it goes.

Since it rained Tuesday morning and I only started a ride only to turn around almost immediately because it was like riding on snot I was looking forward to a Thursday ride. Well since it was going to rain hard tomorrow I took another training ride today.

Instead of the Basso I rode my LeMond Zurich. The rear tubeless has been having some problems because of a puncture I received on the rain ride a month ago or whenever. But I pumped it up and off I went.

Well, the ride was fast. It was quite cold and I was wearing as few layers as I thought I could get away with.

21.8 miles (35 km) came in at 15.84 mph (25 kph). I still haven't reached the point at which I can hold a steady power output but each ride shows an improvement over the last one.

For the initial 7 miles (11 km) I held a stead 20 mph (32 kph).

I wonder how much I can improve?