Old September 6th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,chi.general
Tom Keats

Default about f'ing time (bike rule enforcement)

In article ,
On 2008-09-03, Tom Keats wrote:

argument rests on the case that driving on publicly financed
roads amounts to a privilege, and in that case, I agree, but
only because there are no pragmatic alternatives.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sure there are. Like bicycling, and public transit.
Or taxicabs. Or having stuff delivered.

I arrange my life to be as bike and walking friendly as possible
short of taking a way lesser paying job in chicago proper but
there is quite a lot I'd have to give up if I were to go 'car free'. And
$20 cab rides are more than my cars cost me to do those things. (but I
have the advantage of paid for cars and doing all my own work)

I'm not saying /everybody/ can go car-free.

But I'm sure a lot of people believe they can't,
when they actually can (and should, if only to
save $$$.) They just haven't their respective
epiphanies about it yet. I leave it to individuals
to make their own educated and thought-out choices.

So I'm not downright ~advocating~ freedom from
POV stewardship; I'm just vocally hoping people
keep open minds, and consider they may have
options of which they've heretofore been unaware,
or have too summarily dismissed.

I observe the trouble with POV stewardship is that
it insidiously entails foot-in-the-door syndrome:
if a POV is required for a certain application,
it becomes too easy to "require" it for less
pressing applications. In many cases there comes
a point where the "need" to own a POV (and all the
stressful baggage that comes with it) becomes phony.
Same as when a junkie or alcoholic or crackhead
"needs" more of their drug of choice: not for any
real purpose, but just to get by and make it through
another day, thereby rationalizing their "need."

I find it so antithetical and irrational to seek freedom
by complicating one's life with phony "needs."

For the record, my current job relies on IC-engine'd
vehicles -- especially semis, yard trucks and
trans-ocean freighters, and I have to drive propane
powered forky lifts, so North American consumers can
buy cheap, cheesy, Made-In-China, dollar store junk.

Sometimes I'd rather be mfg'ing & selling organically
made bike trailers. Jump onto the "green" bandwagon.

The more freedom people have, the more they can
think clearly. Freedom is my goodwill wish for
everybody in the world. (Except for incarcerated
violent people.)

cheers,
Tom

--