Old December 4th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Inter-M hub brake too weak

On Dec 4, 3:26*pm, AMuzi wrote:
crowizcom wrote:
however, brakes are very weak, and if i apply excessive force, there
comes metallic sound ..

Chalo wrote:
What Andre Jute said-- your brake needs grease. *Since that is a very
unusual and extreme condition for a grease, I would take Shimano at
their word when they say you must use their special roller brake
grease.

Occasional greasing is the only maintenance that roller brakes need,
but they really need it.

Nothing wrong with Shimano grease but we pump Lubriplate
130AA [1] in them with good results. 'Good results' means
regular customers for 12 years or so. Normal interval is a
about a year in daily use.

[1] only because we have it, with an injector head, handy.

I've used Phil's because that's why I had laying around. Worked fine.
Yearly interval is about right in the rust belt. Should go a couple
years down here.