Old February 25th 18, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Inexpensive LUX meter from China to measure your bike lamp'soutput

On 2/25/2018 3:35 PM, jbeattie wrote:

The battery life on my Urban 800 seems to be waning quickly. I don't know why.

Even back in the lead-acid days, I had friends whose battery lights
crapped out unexpectedly.

(Can you imagine having your car headlights operated by a separate
battery you had to manually tend?)

The dyno and LUXOS B are fine for dry nights, although it is poor for urban trail and steeply undulating or ascending MUPs/cemetery roads.

Our MUPs are probably way flatter than yours. You live in hilly terrain.
I can think of only one MUP "dip" where it passes under a bridge and I
have to be slightly more careful.

Regarding cemeteries: There's one a couple blocks from my house, and I
enjoy riding through it at night, trying to spot the owls that hang out
there. My only dyno related problem there occurred when I saw an owl
silhouetted in a tree and tried to use the bike as a big flashlight.
Since that bike has no standlight, I had to spin a wheel to get light.
Not easy!

I often used my Luxos B with the Urban 800 or a blinky. You would think that with modern technology, you could come up with a highly efficient dyno/light with a shaped beam pattern but not necessarily StVZO and a killer stand light, which probably means using the dyno as a charger. When the bicycle new age arrives, I'm sure that will happen. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b4/65...0a983373df.jpg

Pshaw, you call that a bicycle facility? If it were any good, the two
lanes would be in separate tubes so each could have a pumped tailwind!

Get that done, and _then_ Americans would ride! "Build it and they will
come!"

--
- Frank Krygowski