Old July 11th 20, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default Don't hassle me - I'm riding my bike

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 11:47:58 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I'm only telling you what your reputation is :-) I've been asked quite
a number of times in various SEA countries if it is true that in
"America" people send their parents to an old age home when they get
old?

I have no idea there that comes from but it does seem prevalent in at
least three of the SEA countries.

And our old folks do die in nursing homes. My grandmother, my mother,
and my oldest sister all died in nursing homes, and my nephew was
forced to commit my second-oldest sister when she got to be too much
for her minder to handle.

Mom committed herself after she fell and had to wait for the paperboy
to rescue her, and was sharp as a tack to the end, but my grandmother
wanted to go home to be taken care of by her mother, and my sisters'
conditions seriously bite into the hope I was given by my mother's
fate.

My father's mother was handed round from child to child -- having had
seven children survive helped spread the strain -- but I don't know
any more, save that Mom once said that her dementia made her hard to
live with. Everyone who can remember her is either dead or insane.

I do remember sitting in front of the fireplace being taught how to
make paper spills to light a candle from a fire. Since I must have
been well under six years old at the time, this may have been part of
her dementia.

If I can't die right here in the same bedroom where Lois found my
mother-in-law, I'd rather be taken to Grace Village than be handed
round among the neices and nephews.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net