Old December 30th 03, 02:40 PM
Gman

Default Colder Weather: Harder To Ride?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:51:08 GMT, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
Some years ago I had the flu and this neat new digital pulse meter that I'd
ordered arrived in the mail. It was February - about 20 degrees F - but I just
*had* to go out and run a few miles to try the thing out.

One case of pneumonia (not a bad way to go, actually...very mellow) and 30
pounds of body weight later I found out I had scarred something-or-other
(bronchs?) and now I'm only good down to about 40 degrees. Any lower and I
wind up coughing my brains out all night - and, worse, my Better Half gets
really ****ed....

Scarred something at 20F??? That sounds awfully
warm to be doing damage to your lungs to me, but I
don't know much about that stuff. I do regularly
run at 20-35F and haven't had too much of a
problem.

My friend working in Antarctica at the South Pole
told me that they have an annual "Race Around The
World" (a 2 mile course around the actual South
Pole). This year it was -30F and he said his
lungs burned for hours afterwards...plus I think
he was breathing thru a balaclava. Ouch!