Old February 5th 04, 03:24 PM
JeffP

Default Oh God, Not Another Tubeless Tyre Question... Good ideas for patching?

I too have not had my first tubeless flat, but do carry a tube just in case.

I do remember being shown how to fix a flat circa 1962. It was the summer of
`62, I was 6 yrs old, ready to spin a wrench with the 9 - 14 year olds in the
neighborhood. The older kids were fixing a flat tube, with a kit that had a
cheese grater or sandpaper, after a using it a little bit of the glue was
used.....spread out just a bit larger than the patch that was going to be
placed.

And quickly a match or ligher was lit and the glue was ignited, it began to
bubble and flame, and just when you could see the edges of the wet area begining
to dry up, and you could see that the glue and tube were quite hot, the flame
was blown out and all in one motion the patch was applied to the hot glue,
Vulcanized!

I'm not saying that that technique will work w/Tubelss, but I'll be trying it
before I throw a perfectly good tire away that has a large thorn hole.

Also, I've used quarts of Super glue in my modeling days, I've found that it
sticks to cotton quite well but that on other surfaces, especially flexible
ones, it can just crack off.

There are different grades as basically, thin, med, and thick. I like the thin
with accelerator that you can spray on before and just after applying super glue
it makes for better adhesion and near instant drying. There is also orderless
and it's special accelerator that is used for styro-foam. I'm not sure if any
of these will work.

What about 5min epoxy? That stuff sticks to just about everything. Or, how'a
bout Shoe Goo, that too sticks to everything. Both of these are relatively
flexible.

HTH

JeffP......

"Per Elmsäter" wrote in message
Westie wrote:
Snip interesting technique of patching a tire

From what I heard you just patch it with normal tube patches and glue from
the inside.
I'm still waiting for my first flat so I haven't had a chance to try it yet.
I carry a spare tube and selfadhesive patches, just to make sure I can
always get home.

--
Perre