Old February 5th 04, 03:40 PM
Dave W

Default Oh God, Not Another Tubeless Tyre Question... Good ideas for patching?

"JeffP" had this to say
om

I too have not had my first tubeless flat, but do carry a tube just in
case.

I do remember being shown how to fix a flat circa 1962. It was the
summer of `62, I was 6 yrs old, ready to spin a wrench with the 9 - 14
year olds in the neighborhood. The older kids were fixing a flat
tube, with a kit that had a cheese grater or sandpaper, after a using
it a little bit of the glue was used.....spread out just a bit larger
than the patch that was going to be placed.

And quickly a match or ligher was lit and the glue was ignited, it
began to bubble and flame, and just when you could see the edges of
the wet area begining to dry up, and you could see that the glue and
tube were quite hot, the flame was blown out and all in one motion the
patch was applied to the hot glue, Vulcanized!

This is exactly what I learned in the early 70's myself. And it serves me
wel to this very day. Back then I thought the older kids were full of
crap...but nearly 35 yrs later, it still is effective

Haven't seen the need for tubeless yet, I just think the technology isn't
all that....yet.

Dave