Old July 17th 17, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Piece of thick old tube instead of patch?

On 2017-07-16 12:19, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 09:47:21 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Got a couple of thick tubes that are damaged because of the #%&@!!
Gatorksin side wall blow-outs back when I used those tires. Expensive at
around $17/pop, don't want to throw away. Fixing small tears of 1/10" or
so with REMA patches works but only for 3-6 month, then they hiss
through and I get a slow leak. I can ride home but it's annoying.

Using Slime Rubber Cement, is it possible to glue a roughened chunk of
tube material on there instead of a REMA patch or is that a recipe for
another flat? If not, are there better (= thicker) patches than REMA?

If the tire and the patch are not sufficiently flexible, they will
move relative to each other when stretched, causing the glue joint to
crack. I would make the patch with as thin and flexible rubber
material as possible so that the stretch distance is limited by rubber
tire, not the patch.

It's the opposite I believe. The REMA are thin and flexible and then
they become brittle right over the former slit in the tube. That's where
they start a slow leak. So If I could find much thicker REMA patches
posssibly everything would be fine.

If you use REMA patches, you get a chemical vulcanization seal. If
you use a piece of inner tube and some random rubber cement, I don't
know what you'll get.

I suspect it'll just fall off over time.

I couldn't determine if Slime Rubber Cement was the same as Rema
Vulcanizing Fluid. This may help:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/general-cycling-discussion/slime-vs-rema-351443.html
Maybe try some of these:
https://www.google.com/#q=vulcanizing+cement
You may want to do a peel strength test.

We had a discussion here about that and I decided to buy a pot of Slime
rubber cement after that. I fixed one flat with that which is now
leaking. But not through the cemented area, it's the REMA patch itself
that leaks over the old tear.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/