Old August 11th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Padded boxers 7 rain gear

wrote:
Anyone try the padded boxers to be used under normal clothes to make
any pant/short more comfy on the bike?

I tried them & hated them. I'd rather use a pair of light (6 oz) Lycra
bike shorts over light pocketed shorts.

Speaking of, anyone tried the Nashbar Premium Rain Pant?
Doesn't mention padding anywhere, another use for the boxers I guess.
I'm wondering if Marine rain gear wouldn't be the way to go instead of
bike-specific stuff.

Rain pants can be tricky in that you can have a lot of lower leg
flapping in the breeze, I prefer knickers, or even "rain shorts" in the
summer or some kind of tie downs on the lower leg.

There are a variety of wights/materials in waterproofs. Goretex is
pretty useless in pants for biking as it wears out fast in the seat.
Cheap vinyl pants tear easily and don't last long. Some marine stuff is
very rugged, but too heavy for biking (I'm a sailor) -- it's kind of a
Goldilocks problem.