Old January 5th 16, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Installing rear wheel without dropping chain

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 1/4/2016 6:09 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Is there a technique that allows installing a rear wheel into a bike
with a rear derailleur that avoids dropping the chain? As the rear
wheel is inserted, the chain is pulled by the cogs, which causes the
front chain ring to spin backwards and, about half the time, drops the
chain. Replacing the chain then makes a mess. Yeah, I could carry a
glove, but ...

I guess I've never worried about it. I'm usually able to get the
chain to re-mount itself by turning the cranks and upshifting the
front derailleur.

But have you tried placing the chain on chainwheel #2 ahead of time
(the smaller of 2 chainwheels or the middle one of 3 chainwheels),
then jamming the front derailleur up against it by attempting an
upshift while the cranks are stationary? I'm just speculating, but it
seems that might hold it in place.

That might work. I'll try it next time. Two flats already this year,
but both were in the garage, so cannot complain too much.

--
Joe Riel