Old June 29th 05, 08:16 PM
Bob Watkinson

Default Nutrition for long distance rides e.g. LEJOG

"vernon" wrote in message
Having got nutrition and hydration sorted for Audax rides using energy
bars,
bananas and PSP22, mix I will be cycling around 100km per day for around a
fortnight on an unsupported LEJOG ride in August. The energy demands are
going to be quite different because of the additional weight that I will
be
carrying and I am curious to know what other LEJOG rider ate during the
ride. More specifically, how should I balance the carb/protein content of
the food throughout the day? i.e. high carb or high protein
breakfast/lunch/evening meal. Carrying PSP22 is impractical so my drinks
are likely to be water only unless there is a 'homebrew' that could be
mixed
each day from standard food items. I have bonked out a few times when
cycle
camping and it seems to take ages for me to be able to eat my way out of
the
energy gap. It's also a demoralising experience.

All advice welcomed.

Cheers

Vernon

My wife and I have just finished our LEJOG unsupported and with full
camping gear on our tandem covering 1004m in 15 and a bit days which is a
similar mileage to your trip. Based on our experience I would advise you not
to worry one iota what you eat and just thoroughly enjoy your trip as we
most certainly did. You have to remember your not doing the Tour De France
you know.
We typically ate Cross and Blackwell All Day Breakfast, Full Monte etc,
cake stops whenever you fancy, real Cornish pasties from Cornwall are a
must, and farm brewed Scrumpy, numerous Snicker bars, real ale, bananas,
Stag Chilli with Uncle Bens 3 min rice, scrummy bar meals, fish and chips
and a sandwich here or there.
The Snickers bars were the most effective at reviving us if we were
flagging, just take you time (our tour average was 12.57mph), see the
country as a whole all in one trip, and enjoy it as we did. I still dream
every night about ours and I envy you.

PS.
If you want any tips on camp sites let me know.

Take care,

Bob