Old June 29th 05, 10:00 PM
David Martin

Default Nutrition for long distance rides e.g. LEJOG

Gippledocks wrote:
Like you, I did LEJOG in around a fortnight (strangely averaging a
similar daily mileage to what you plan ;-) ).

I just ate the normal three meals a day (typically YHA breakfast, lunch
where I found it and pub or YHA for dinner). Oh and the occasional
elevenses, high tea and 'well done getting up that hill' ice cream. On
the road I just drank water and ate Kelloggs Rice Krispie Squares
(bought not homemade).

Sounds like a grand plan. It's not dubbed the Cake and Tea Club without
reason.

Regarding balance of carbs, etc I suspect I may have got it wrong. On
reaching JOG my 'spare tyre' was more than somewhat diminished (took
quite a while to regain its former pomp).

Sounds like my ideal nutritional balance then. If only I could find the
two weeks to do a JOGLE.

Overall I doubt you'll do much better than the old adage: eat before
you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty.

Never pass a cafe without testing the wares. Roadside 'greasy joes' are
normally very good value and a good chance to stop and blether.

Off the nutrition topic...

Cornwall and Devon *will* be steep up then steep down, ad infinitum. Do
not underestimate them.

Likewise anything that follows a roman road if the terrain is even
vaguely undulating.

Northern Scotland *will* be cold, whatever the season.
(Oh dear. I seem to have laid myself open to accusations of
Southernness, Softiness and Lowlanderness.)

It's not cold, it is just differently summered.

...d