Old September 1st 18, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 9:26:01 AM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
lou.holtman wrote:

Yesterday just after a corner I came across
three cyclist from a bike club from
a neighbouring town and just after
I recognized their teamshirts and said
'hello' I hear 'helmet'. I am not wearing
a helmet when I ride alone on flat terrain,
which is becoming rare but people telling me
to wear a helmet **** me off.

Yeah, I think most people would be ****ed off
by such an answer no matter the setting when
oneself is saying something polite/neutral and
get the arrogance back.

One young lady I know has two small kids who ride bikes, usually without
helmets. She's noted that it's considered VERY rude to tell someone how to
raise their own kids.

Except, that is, when talking about bike helmets.

Same with avid cyclists. Nobody ever yells "Where's your safety flag?" or
"Why are you riding in a black jersey?" or "Where's your daytime running light?"
Hell, it's rare to hear "You're riding in the door zone" or even "You're
riding facing traffic" or "Stop running red lights."

But if you ride without the magic hat, you're a pariah to many people. You
deserve to be lectured.

Helmeteers are assholes.

- Frank Krygowski