Old July 29th 11, 08:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

Default OT : 23 channels and nothing to watch!

On 21/06/2011 9:44 AM, tomasso wrote:

"Moike" wrote in message
On 20/06/2011 3:06 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
The Tour de France is coming up and I thought I'd get one of those el
cheapo $50 HD digital set top boxes which allows recording to an
external USB HDD for later viewing as I am not always around when each
stage of le Tour starts.

I plugged it all in, did the scan and was kinda excited to discover that
I can get 23 digital channels in Sydney. Man, I've got it made - NO MORE
5 channels of crappy free-to-air **** - or so I thought.

After two days of channel surfing 23 digital channels at different times
of the day and night, I have come to the conclusion that, I now have 23
channels of crappy digital ****.

Oh well, never mind, I hope the recording function works but I'll not
know that until I can get an external USB HDD.

If you get an external HDD,make sure it has its own power supply. All
the external HDD boxes I've used need two USB plugs, one for data and
another for (extra?) power. I haven't seen a set-top-box with twin USB
ports.

Moike

The recent ones are fine with one cable, unless the PC's current (on
USB) is low.

You're right.

I bought the $40 Aldi HD set top box on offer this week,and my 500Gb USB
hard drive, which needs two slots on the netbook, runs fine on the
single usb port of the set to box.

So for around $110 all up I've got a HD set top box with a decent epg
and easy record/playback as well as time shifting. Plus I have an excuse
to get a bigger USB drive for the 'puter. Win Win.

Noice

Moike