Old May 11th 19, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Cycling: almost actual science

On Fri, 10 May 2019 18:16:54 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 8:00:58 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 10 May 2019 15:22:47 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/10/2019 2:32 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/10/2019 12:39 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/painted...science-paper/

I heard about that elsewhere. So it's another claim that
striped bike lanes are dangerous. In other words, the
segregation advocates that have been touting those lanes for
decades are now admitting they were wrong. But they want
barrier separations everywhere. Even though any rational
analysis shows they are impossible to build on even 1% of
our roads.

And they are ignoring the studies that have clearly shown
significant increases in crashes from "protected" bike
lanes, like this one from Ohio:
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/engineeri...oorhead_72.pdf

Or the pile of studies collected by John Franklin. See
http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/digest/research.html

Anyone who's seen an inside fastball brush a batter only to
have a strike called will question the 'methodology' of
evaluating close passes.

I have no idea but I doubt the 'researchers' do either.

One study was done in England, I believe, using some sort of
ultrasonic distance sensor. See
http://drianwalker.com/overtaking/

In another study he makes an interesting comment about bicycle
helmets:
" suggesting that bicyclists must buy and wear protective devices to
remain safe is no different from suggesting non-smokers must buy and
wear gas-masks as a solution to passive smoking. In both cases, these
are solutions that technically "work", but they place all the
responsibility for action - and a financial burden - on the
non-consenting injured party. In the case of bicycle helmets, it is,
moreover, a "solution" that serves to maintain a status quo in which
people choosing a healthy, clean and socially responsible mode of
travel are systematically marginalised in their competition for
limited public space with those who have chosen to use motor
vehicles".
--
cheers,

John B.

"Finally, when the (male) experimenter wore a long wig, so that he appeared female from behind, drivers left more space when passing."

I may start wearing a wig. :-)

Andy

I believe that the best incentive was a jacket with "POLICE" on the
back.
--
cheers,

John B.